solenoid questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
solenoid questions

I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before putting everything back together and had a couple of questions:

My tow/haul light has been coming on and I have been constantly getting codes (and symptoms) p0757 shift solenoid b stuck on and p2701.

I'm about 5k from my next fluid/filter change, the fluid and filter definitely needs changing, but doesn't look too bad, a little bit of fuzz on the magnet but no more than normal wear and tear from what I can tell.

I pulled solenoid "b" ( I think) and am debating replacing it or cleaning/testing it

Here are my questions:

1. I pulled the second one from drivers side on the front row, is this the correct one?

2. Can I test the solenoid by applying voltage to the solenoid? if so, what voltage?

3. I've read that that sometimes cleaning and replacing fluids and filter will sometimes clear up the problem. Anyone else experienced this?

4. If I have the correct solenoid pulled, should I just replace it? the dealer quoted me around $120 I think

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

5R110 solenoids....trans Q's - TheDieselGarage.com

i hope this helps there are links in that thread that have pics of the banks of solenoids . if i were you id just change the solenoid out in stead of trying to clean it .... 120 is great price imo . id also disconnect both battries for an hr just to reset the keep alive memory and then if all is well (no flashing towhaul ) do the relearn . good luck and let us no if it fixes the problem
Old 08-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the links.

I'm getting conflicting info from a couple of different dealers about which solenoid I pulled based on the part number on the solenoid itself so instead of throwing parts at it I'll put it back together with new filter and fluid and a cleaned solenoid and see what happens.

I was able to ohm it out and it falls within spec, around 5 ohms and it seems to be moving more freely now
Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

*UPDATE*

I took the solenoid to work and applied 12vdc and it seemed to work fine so I put it back in along with 8-9 qts new fluid and a new inline filter.

I disconnected the battery, reconnected and drove around for a while to start the relearn process. No codes, everything seems to be working fine with the exception of a few weird shifts which I am attributing to the relearn process.

I think it could have been a couple of things, dirty fluid/filter (although I've seen a lot worse) and the fact that I don't drive it that much any more. It can sit for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Unless I post to this thread again, I'm calling it good. Hopefully this helps someone else down the road...
Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpx View Post
Thanks for the links.

I'm getting conflicting info from a couple of different dealers about which solenoid I pulled based on the part number on the solenoid itself so instead of throwing parts at it I'll put it back together with new filter and fluid and a cleaned solenoid and see what happens.

I was able to ohm it out and it falls within spec, around 5 ohms and it seems to be moving more freely now
what did you use to clean the solenoid ?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

*ANOTHER UPDATE*

Well it worked for about 100 miles then starting failing again. I went ahead and replaced the solenoid, it's been over 100 miles and so far so good. Once I got the new solenoid in hand, I could tell the difference in the movement, I guess the shaft has to be totally free moving to operate correctly.

On another note, the way I finally confirmed which one was solenoid "b" was monitoring the shift pattern which I had not been doing. Once I left park and went through the gears in normal driving, I was staying in 2, 4, or 6th gear, so "overdrive" was staying on. The reason I was getting conflicting info from dealers is a few of the solenoids are the same, same part number.

darsey715, the way I tried cleaning was just with clean fluid and opening and closing the solenoid a bunch of times thinking it would dislodge any big chunks.

Again, hope this helps someone else down the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.