Overheating after radiator remove and reinstall. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overheating after radiator remove and reinstall.

I had to replace ac clutch. So I took radiator out. Clutch fan. Shrouds etc.
I chopped up the rear fan shroud and tossed it since it is a nightmare and kept upper section to hold fan harness.

Now after everything is back together transmission overheats big time. I have external gauges and Edge CTS before people get pissy with stock gauge accuracy.

I thought it was my external trans filter clogged because housing was hot as hell but cooler lines werent. So replaced the nasty filter and no joy trans still over heats.

Disconnected cooler lines one at a time to check flow. They both flow. input and output of tranny cooler.

Now I am at a loss. I have noticed while draining some fluid, fluid is pretty damn dark. Not black but pretty dark.

Any ideas?

I don't thing a quick drain and refill of trans fluid will keep me from overheating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

i'm going through some tranny issues myself. I've always kept a close eye on my temps and i wouldn't let it get over 200 deg. Not sure how hot your temps are, but i would say the tranny is slipping and causing the fluid is overheating and therefore dark.....what does it smell like?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Now I am not gonna say you may not have tranny issues but ya definately have cooling system issues. By cutting away half of the fan shroud you just shot your cooling system in both feet so to speak. You better start monitoring your temps [all of them]

Granted the shroud [stator] is a pain in the a s s but it performs a very specific critical function of the cooling system it as a ductwork to direct the intake flow of air thru the radiator and you just cut than flow over half. The fan is now drawing it's air from everywhere but where it should be drawing it. Resulting in a loss of heatexchange efficency that is going to lead to overheating of all your fluids with possible critical engine damage never mind just your tranny problem.

When the thermostat opens it allows hot coolant to enter the top of the radiator and displaces the allready cooled coolant in the radiator into the engine and then closes essentially trapping the coolant in the engine to then draw heat from the engine and oil. There are bypass passages to keep the pump from createing too much pressure recirculateing excess flow back into the engine and radiator to maintain an equalibrium.

Coolant flows thru the radiator top to bottom thru seies of winding tubes [the cooling coils] this provides more surface area for the air flow to draw away the heat from the coolant and exits thru the bottom tank. The bottom of the radiator is where the tranny cooler is located and relies on that cooled coolant to draw away its heat and you are no longer getting as cool a coolant as you should be. The coolant temps are becomeing to close to the oil temps {saturation point] when that happens no heat exchange can take place and critical overheat takes place, resulting in emminet engine/tranny failure. A rule of thumb the coolant in the bottom of the radiator should be 15 to 25 deg cooler than what it came in as. Hmmn now where have we seen that 15 deg temp mentioned befor.

Darn here I go getting in too deep again not meaning to make cooling system engineers out of ya. So I am going to leave it at this. Dude you really need to put a complete stator back on there quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.