Torque Convertor-to replace or not to.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque Convertor-to replace or not to....

Looks like Im gonna get some free maintenance done on my tranny (2005 f-350). After comin home on camping trip I noticed a high pitch squeal and slight slipping under hard pull and just before shifting gears. Took it to the dealer and took mech. for a ride,he couldnt tell me what it is but said its not good. Thankfull its under warranty.....so here is question, What should I pay to have changed out that might not be covered? Filters, while they are in their....Torque convertor? (103,000 miles) If so what kind do you suggest and from were? Any other thoughts??? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you have the extra money I would definitely consider RCD's 6.4 torque converter. Just tell Jared there that it's for a 6.0. Only thing is if you have them put in an aftermarket torque converter they might not warranty their work or the trans. Just ask'em obviously. I would sign up on the army and msg him over there for a small 5% discount and just so he's familiar with who you are. gogo solenoid is also a good idea.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 PM

Thank you, Im gonna find out this week what Im lookin at....thanks again
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 AM

Update-after a week at the dealer they finnally got a remand tranny in,now their saying they cant get the tranny to seperate from the truck....and for the iceing on the still baking chit cake the warranty that I purchased when I got the truck is "very concerned about the mods to the truck...." Only issue is the only thing Ive done to it is a coolant filter and 5" exhaust. So this sounds to me like their looking for anything to drop this...
Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 AM

Ok, went to the dealer and it looks as I misunderstood them. They did get the tranny from the truck. Problem is they could not get the tranny guts to seperate from the tranny casing....so it looks now as Im getting a refab tranny (3 year warranty) new tranny cooler,new torque convertor, getting the rear main seal replaced,oil change in the motor and the blue spring upgrade for $1700. Im happy with that...
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM

what's 1700 for if it's under warranty? that's good news tho they are taken care of it.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:27 PM

The way the warranty reads is kinda tricky....but they would pay 100% to replace the tranny with a equal mileage tranny. I read that as a junk yard tranny. The 1700 is the diffrence that a refabed tranny,new torque convertor and new cooler cost.
Its kinda a scam...basiclly they will repair anything that has failed that is lubricated...they couldnt get the tranny apart so they couldnt reeley prove one way or another what failed,so Im takin the $ and smilein to the bank.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:32 AM

An equal mileage tranny could work better than the one you had in there. You can certainly save some money imo but 1700 isn't always a lot of $$ when you just want your truck back and maybe you had a good month at work. Plus warranty is great, I'd beat on that trans during the first month

I think it's fishy that they "can't" get the internals out of the casing tho.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 AM

1700 is alot of money. But for the 1700 I got a refab tranny with a 3 year warranty,new torque convertor, new tranny cooler, rear main seal replaced and a oil change. And now I dont have to go beat on that trans for a month to see if its okay. Thats a good deal and I gotta figure most guys with the money to cover it in their pocket would of gone the same route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.