Lost Reverse and all Forward Gears - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Lost Reverse and all Forward Gears

Now I have the motor working right, now the transmission is giving me issues.
This will be a continuation, of this.
major poblem, blowing heavy smoke and oil

Back ground, had recent back luck with injectors and fuel system. Believe from Contaminated fuel.

Part of this was a lot of bucking from the engine due to running on only 6 injectors, Lots of motor bounce and vibration going down the highway.

Transmission kicked out on me once and left me stranded, tow to dealer, Truck started the next morning, and the drove it into the shop, 2 injectors gone. No problem I can do that myself, Drove the truck off the yard. under powered yes but running.

Decided to Drive home and change the injectors, Ran rough going there and ran about the same heading back, Went about 80km traveling with tow haul on and below 100 kph to keep out of overdrive, but could not avoid it all together, thing bucked and bounced like nuts in OD.

Notice trans temp climbed to 207, engine temp avg was 196, Slowed truck down to 60 kph and temp quickly dropped to 160, picked up the pace again and trans temp stay around 170. Then for a stretch It kept trying to stay in OD, bucking like crazy, temp hit 240, (no change on engine temps), tried slowing, down (long week end highway rush hour not good), could only get down to 232, then quickly back up it went.

Looking for a turnout to let it cool, but she kicked out, coasted to side of road, engine still running, no trans, went thru all gears, nothing, Allowed to cool down, got to 190 and put truck in gear, nothing, any gear, Rev'd up engine to 3000rmp and truck started to roll forward, 3ft, tow haul flashing,

So shut of engine, no restart, sat on highway for 3 hrs figure once below 140 all should be good, nope.

Called tow, got it home, replaced injectors, running better than it has for along time. You could actually stand next to the engine and have a conversation with out yelling. Allowed the truck to run for a while and do it's turbo relearn, all good.

Went to put in gear, nothing, had to rev the heck out of it for just a little movement, no codes. Really no Codes.

Tried again this morning nothing, I can hear a whirring when I select a gear, and the engine will bump up like 100 rmp as if to take the load from the transmission, will do this going to a forward or reverse gear.

Trans was serviced 3 months ago, at Ford, Oil nice and pink and smells like turpentine, so good there. Levels good.

And I have search every where, not able to find an answer. Trans has always been strong up till now.

Could the bouncing and bucking from the transmission, have shaken loose the pick up filter in the pan? causing all my issues?

Looking for idea's folks.

Thanks Andy

Last edited by bfrd22; 05-21-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pulled the pan, magnet covered in a fine black slime, also alum filings in pan, more than I would have expected to see. I'm guessing this is bad. Not a trans guy.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

trashed the torque converter?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Black slime normal, aluminum in pan is not. Gotta get codes read. Id start looking for a new trans.jmo.

Sent from my droidx using autoguide app
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm guessing also, I pulled the inspection plug at the front of the TC and it was dry in there.

So looking a little further I dropped the filter, top of filter covered with metal filings, here are some pics, Transmission is done, Have to save up for another one, engine issues wiped me out.

Good thing I have a nice reliable 24 yr old Trans Am that's dying to be driven more.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Lost Reverse and all Forward Gears-p5210060.jpg   Lost Reverse and all Forward Gears-p5210059.jpg  

Last edited by bfrd22; 05-21-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So finally got a used Trans out of a 09 F350 6.4 for a decent price, and they gave me a 6.0 tc for it.

I can hardly wait to get it installed.

Any tricks I should know b4 I learn the hard way?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry meant to update, the 09 6.4 Transmission went in perfectly and the truck accepted it. Running great again.

Any one need a 6.4 torque converter?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM

So it's been several months now....hows the old girl doing? You've been through the ringer with it. Hoping it's smooth sailing for you now.

Chuck
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well... Truck has been great up until last weekend. Think I dropped 2 injectors again. Have it booked into the stealership this morning for a diagnostic.
Some day I will have to trade it out. But I like the truck.
It's like battered wife syndrome.
Andy
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM

That sucks man. Good luck with that.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.