Cold Blooded Trannie? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Blooded Trannie?

2004 6.0L --> When the truck is cold in the morning, and we have to jump in it and go right away, the transmission doesn't want to shift out of first until it warms up a bit. Once it warms up, it shifts fine. Anyone know what might cause this? Is the oil in there just sludgy and needing changed?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Having the same problem, have to wait about 5 mins before I take off in the mornings. Like to hear what anyone else has for input.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
There shouldn't be oil in there; it should be synthetic transmission fluid (Mercon SP or Mercon LV only) and it should be bright red on the dipstick. It should be changed every 30k miles, I believe.

Mine is a bit cold blooded, but it just shifts MUCH firmer until it gets warmed up. It does sound like your clutches are sticking. BTW, what do you mean by COLD? I'm assuming you mean the first start of the day and not necessarily the temperature, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

If GusHaulers is the same as mine, its first thing in the morning (recently 20-low 30s), if i were to drive, it will shift but it will stay in first at an extra amount of time. I try to not let it stay in first that long so I lightly take my foot off the gas pedal to help shift it into second. When truck is at operating temp, no problems shifting.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hestie View Post
If GusHaulers is the same as mine, its first thing in the morning (recently 20-low 30s), if i were to drive, it will shift but it will stay in first at an extra amount of time. I try to not let it stay in first that long so I lightly take my foot off the gas pedal to help shift it into second. When truck is at operating temp, no problems shifting.
Ok, yeah, sounds like increased line pressure when it's cold similar to mine. It's MUCH worse in the hot tunes like my Looney, but still manageable. Mine does it and our lows are in the 50's. I just take it easy until the tranny is up to operating temperature.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 AM

I've been having this same problem. This morning I had to get on it a little bit and it slammed really hard 3 times to try and shift into 2nd. Then my Tow/Haul light started flashing. Once the TFT got above 80 it shifts fine. When i got to school I scanned it and it pulled 2 codes. P0766 and P2703. Said something about low friction in Solonoid D? I'm curious to see how it will drive when I levae school. Just scared the crap out of me. Fluid was changed at 30K. I'm getting close to 60K and am planning on changingn it. On the dipstick its pretty red but smells a bit burnt maybe.
Maybe its time for a new Suncoast Fully Built Tranny
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsecond View Post
I've been having this same problem. This morning I had to get on it a little bit and it slammed really hard 3 times to try and shift into 2nd. Then my Tow/Haul light started flashing. Once the TFT got above 80 it shifts fine. When i got to school I scanned it and it pulled 2 codes. P0766 and P2703. Said something about low friction in Solonoid D? I'm curious to see how it will drive when I levae school. Just scared the crap out of me. Fluid was changed at 30K. I'm getting close to 60K and am planning on changingn it. On the dipstick its pretty red but smells a bit burnt maybe.
Maybe its time for a new Suncoast Fully Built Tranny
Sounds like your tranny is living on borrowed time. That is NOT normal and needs to be looked at by a professional before it grenades.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Sounds like your tranny is living on borrowed time. That is NOT normal and needs to be looked at by a professional before it grenades.
So when I left school started the truck and took off just like nothing ever happened. No flashing Tow/Haul light. Shifts right though all the gears nice and firm. I'm just going to wait it out until its time to change the fluid in about 5K and see what it looks like and how much metal is on the magnet. Just have to take it easy when she cold.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I was referring to the first start in the morning. I've been letting the truck warm up because the last time I pushed it, it didn't seem like it was ever going to shift out of first, and the RPM's were getting scary high. So you think clutch plates are sticking?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 PM

mine does the same thing, hoping it's nothing major. Changed the fluid & filters less than 5k ago. Coach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.