Tranny issue or powerstrokeism? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny issue or powerstrokeism?

Alright guys, I’m a brand new diesel owner, with that being said I don’t have a lot of experience with Ford in general. I just bought a 05 with a 110,000 on and I’m feeling a weird lag/flutter when doing 40+ if I get on it. It seems to go away after everything is good and warm and I really can’t tell if it’s the trans or the motor causing the issue. I’m thinking the trans because the rpms don’t jump and the boost is steady. I have read through here and seen related issues, but everyone else is experiencing shaking like the motor is missing which I have had experience with in other trucks and it doesn’t feel like that. Anyone have any input on if it’s a cause for concern or just a typical powerstrokeism. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the Org. We could use some more info, what do you mean by a lag or flutter at 40. is it only when at 40mph, is it a muffler drone, any work to the truck?

how is when hammering it?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After playing around with it a little today on the HWY I figured out it only does it in 5th gear @ 18-2000 RPMís. I thought it went away after it warms up but it doesnít. When itís in 5th gear and I go to give it a little power it will shake a little and almost feel like its slipping, but as soon as it either down shifts or gets past 2000 rpm it goes away. Everything shifts fine and I donít notice any power fluctuations any other time other than this. I just ordered a EGR delete with the SCT X3 so Iím anxious to see if the different tunes for the trans does anything. The only thing done to the truck right now is a K&N air cleaner.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any luck in figuring out what is causing this my truck is doing amost the same thing any help from op or anyone else would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After doing a little research I think it is a problem with the IPR. At first I thought it was a turbo problem; I pulled it and cleaned it when I did my EGR delete a few weeks ago, and it was pretty bad. But now I’m leaning towards the IPR after reading up on a few post this sounds more like the culprit. It's going to the dealer on Friday to get diagnosed, as soon as I know something for sure I’ll post it.

Last edited by Clark McLaughlin; 03-12-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, here is the update: Took it to the dealership to have a diagnostic done to figure out exactly what was going on, and I found out that the # 5 injector is going out and the turbo is about to crap the bed. He also said that the fuel pressure regulator was messed up and the PSI was only at 38; 40 is spec. So with all that being said I think I have decided to go ahead and throw the money at it and knock out the studs, gaskets, oil cooler, 155/30 injectors from Warren diesel, Powermax turbo and tuning from Eric, along with 4” turbo back exhaust. This ended up being the worst case scenario from me, but I figure it gives me a good excuse to get everything done.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM

i had the same symptoms and it was bad #4 and #8 injectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.