transmission problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transmission problem

Having problems with the transmission in wide open throttle. tends to let go and end up in neutral. Transmission was built to withhold more power, it has a triple disk torque converter upgraded internals. Never had an issue before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you have the batteries disconnected recently? Might need a relearn if you did. I was/am having the same issues but it was only doing it with my SRL tune, what tune are you running? with my stock and tow tune it is fine.

What exactly does yours do and at what speeds?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here's how to do the relearn....
P0488...??
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 AM

Never really needed the pcm relearn but maybe I'll try that too. here is a torqueshift relearn i found.

Torqushift Shift Relearning Strategy

TorqShift Harsh/Slipping Engagements, Upshifts, and/or Downshifts:

If these symptoms are experienced after the batteries have been disconnected, then it is due to the transmission adaptive strategy being cleared from the computer. This may occur when the vehicle is delivered new from the factory as well.

1. Warm the engine and transmission to operating temperature with all accessories off.
2. Idle engine for one minute with engine warm and all accessories off.
3. Idle engine for one minute with A/C on.

Then:
1. While driving, perform three series of upshifts at light, medium and heavy throttle.
2. While stopped, perform three sets of gear engagements (N-R, N-D, D-R, R-D) with the brake pedal firmly depressed and waiting three seconds between each engagement.

Perform these steps once in normal mode and once in tow/haul.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM

trans

I have 5'' exhaust, sct custom tunes from eric, 62mm by 80 turbo, ryan's 190cc injectors with 100 over nozzles. I took the injectors out and the sct and now running a bully dog. I have done the relearn process. The transmission shifts fine under normal to mid throttle but if floored in a race it acts like it goes into neutral after third gear/shift.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Loaded my SRL with 5%+ shift pressure at 3-5 shift and jumped on the highway with everything good and warm and it banged threw 2nd real nicely and then 3rd gear it seemed to get hung up in between. Like it went into nuetral for a couple seconds. I let off and then it caught 3rd and catapulted me until I got off the thruster. Def doesn't feel like it is slipping since it grabbed pretty hard when it caught.

Now that I'm thinking about it, U guess I should boost the 2-3 shift pressure. I'm not really sure what gearr I was in, I was cruising at about 30 when I stepped on it. Do you think its the direct solenoid?

I have 104k miles, tow 10k trailer (not much) and plow with this rig.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

trans problem

give me a call if you are in dallas.DFW Transmission
Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 PM

transmission

I've done the relearn process and it still gives me the problem only floored no problems driving easy.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM

I know this info is late, and this is a common problem with running hot tunes. For one, I wouldnt be running any tuners that dont have specific TCM tuning for your application. SCT is one of the best for this reason alone. When you order a tune your ordering tuning for your trans for your particular vehicle and mods. Ive heard so many stories about guys screwing up their torqueshifts with the Bullydog, Hypertech, etc....
The problems listed have been an issue for years. Im going to say the problem is that there was a slight 3-5 flare, wich is a nice word for slip. Every slip weakens the clutches and every slip adds clutch particles floating around in your trans fluid wich can effect the performance of the solenoids. When you demand the trans at WOT the flare becomes an all out full slip issue. I think it is a combination of the direct drive solenoid, the EPC solenoid and actual direct clutch failure from slight flares causing slight damage over time....
Unfortunately, when most guys here have a trans problem, they purchase a built trans from NADP, BTS, Elite, Suncoast, etc. as well as a HD billet performance converter, a new cooler and probably an external filter that protects all the new solenoids. So you only hear the stories about "I had that problem so I bought a So-n-So trans and it shifts perfectly".....so this is where im heading. Saving the coin for HD, high performance, professionally built trans by a reputable, trued and tried builder for the "do it once and be done with it" trans with warrenty. Im sorry to say I feel as though there is no easy fix for this issue or we would have ran across the info on one of the forums by now. Also, if you opt to have the trans rebuilt, be sure every bit of fluid is removed from the system if doing any upgrade to the trans, have all the solenoids cleaned and tested or youll be chasing the same problem and kicking yourself in the a$$.....best of luck!

Last edited by mygt8a4re; 09-18-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

easy fix is a gogo direct clutch solenoid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.