Trans temp gauge problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans temp gauge problem?

Not sure if that is the problem or not, but the truck starts fine and drives fine. Once I get down the road a few miles the tranny temp gauge drops to zero and the tow haul light goes on and off. Sometimes the tranny temp goes up and the light stops blinking but only for a few seconds. The truck doesn't seem to drive any differently once all this happens. It shifts fine and it drives fine. It all happened just before I deleted my egr. I changed out the tranny filters and oil after the egr delete. The new oil is nice and red and doesn't stink, so I'm kinda ruling that out. I was thinking maybe the thermostat was the culprit, I'm not sure though. Anyone have any similar problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It is more the likely the tranny temp sender. It's a somewhat common issue. You will need to drain the trans oil and remove the oil pan, just like if you were doing a filter change. The trans temp sender is towards the front of the valve body. It's a little 2 wire sensor. You just turn it to the left and pull it out. I just did one the other day and the sensor is only like 15 bucks.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Just started having the same problem today except my temp goes way hot and the tow/haul light flashes. Then goes to normal sometimes. Also is your check engine light on?
I've got these if we have the same problem
PO700 Transmission Control System malfunction
PO710 TFT circuit range/performance problem
PO713 TFT Sensor Circuit High Volgate Input
Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's the temp sensor, mine done that a week ago. It's a $15 part and takes all of 45 minutes to change(draing and removing the pan takes the longest) To get the sensor out turn it counterclockwise and pull(use a pair of pliers because it is slippery and very gently pull) A quart or so of fluid will come out of the hole so be prepared and claen off the connectors on the plug, they need to be dry to make a good connection.

And check the wiring harness that hooks to the sensor for chaffing and bare spots as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anybody have a pic of this sensor with the pan off?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Found this link on another site, http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...l#post10075886, got it changed. All works fine now, did get a nice tranny fluid bath when removing filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.