Auto Shifter Handle Extremely Loose - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto Shifter Handle Extremely Loose

I highly doubt this is a "tranny" issue, but it was the best match for the thread.

I have read up on a lot of articles regarding this, but none seem to be the fix for my issue. It is NOT the two forward facing torx screws on the underside of the column.

The shifter is extremely loose. I can pull it down about 1" (without shifting gears) and lift it almost 2". When doing so the orange dash indicator moves with it. I attempted to removed the plastic housing on the column, but it doesnt appear possible to remove the top piece because it is wrapped around the butterfly for the key. If anyone has any ideas, or how to remove the plastic trim, please let me know. I am at a loss without knowing at least which direction to go.

Truck is a 2007 Crew Cab Lariat Outlaw, with the lovely 6.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 AM

after you pull the lower column shroud off, put the key in & turn the ignition to ON. In the bottom of the key switch housing there's a hole where you can push a pin punch or little philips screwdriver up into which releases the key switch. The keyswitch pulls straight outward. The upper shroud comes right off then.

Best to do this with batteries disconnected otherwise, the truck will be consuming power the whole time. The lock cylinder assembly just pushes right back in. Real easy.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicbx View Post
after you pull the lower column shroud off, put the key in & turn the ignition to ON. In the bottom of the key switch housing there's a hole where you can push a pin punch or little philips screwdriver up into which releases the key switch. The keyswitch pulls straight outward. The upper shroud comes right off then.

Best to do this with batteries disconnected otherwise, the truck will be consuming power the whole time. The lock cylinder assembly just pushes right back in. Real easy.
I must say, I am a little embarrassed! After seeing how easy this was, I felt compelled to try it on my wifes truck (F-150). Of course, it works the same way! This seems like it should be "common Ford knowledge."

Anyhow, after successfully removing the column plastics, and disassembling the shifter arm, I found there to be a VERY worn square rubber bushing where the arm meets the plunger (probably using the wrong term here...help?). I removed the pin and inspected the lower part of the lever for wear. It appeared that there was no wear on the arm. The bushing seems to be about 50% of the total excessive play, and 100% of the play caused WITHOUT the orange gear indicator on the dash moving. There is still play in the shifter arm WITH the gear indicator moving. I could not see any other bushings that could be the cause, and all the bolts holding the assembly together within the column are tight.

So now that I have inspected this area, and found part of the problem, does anyone have any other ideas as to where I should look next? Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribed
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Went to Ford. Bought the rubber bushing...$20 later, I have yet to install it. I am currently out of the country flying another mission. I am certain this is the cause for the play WITHOUT the shift indicator moving, but I am still at a loss where the play in the handle WITH the shift indicator moving. Any ideas?? This is a VERY common Ford problem, so I know someone out there has had this issue and resolved it...
Old 01-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im gonna bump this back up if you dont mind. I'm having the same problem. They must have fell asleep in 07 putting the shifters in or something. Mine is very loose, and it bugs the crap out of me. I can move mine up and down about 2" both ways and it only has 34k miles on it.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke Techie

This is a very common issue on various Ford products that use this type of steering column and shifter setup. The following parts purchased and replaced should fix this issue:

Outer Shifter Tube F57Z-7212-A

Inner Shifter Tube F7DZ-7R264-AA

Bushings F3TZ-7L278-A (two needed)

Replacing the above parts requires dropping the steering column, but for most average DIYers, the difficulty level of this particular repair should be well within their skill level.

To the OP, if there is still play felt in the shifter after replacement of above parts, you need to look at the transmission end of the shifter cable. There is a plastic adjustment "window" to set the proper shifter position alignment, relative to the steering column.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 PM

thanks a bunch for that info. Since you are a tech, do you know if that would be covered under a premium care ESP? May as well use it if I have, and if the parts plus my labor would be more than 100 buck deductable

thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbandit98 View Post
thanks a bunch for that info. Since you are a tech, do you know if that would be covered under a premium care ESP? May as well use it if I have, and if the parts plus my labor would be more than 100 buck deductable

thanks
I would need your VIN and exact mileage info in order to check into the information you request.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM

hell i just bought it today...i doubt its even in your system yet. I have just under 35k on my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.