Replacement Trans options / ideas??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Replacement Trans options / ideas???

My truck has 110K miles on it and I have only owned it for the last 5K. I changed both trans filters and fluid two mos. ago and all was clean with normal wear for presumably 100K miles. Last Sat. it began to shift hard 1-2 and randomly slip to neutral very rapidly and slam back into gear. It finally went to neutral while cruising 45 mph and got code P0766 for Direct Drive solenoid and it stopped pulling. Dropped pan and there is metal all in it--bad news! So I know something has let go. Its not case material cause its not magnetic. I am getting a full replacement trans I just dont know what brand I should buy. I will say I can get a Ford replacement with tq. conv. and it has a three year unlimited mileage warranty--this is very attractive to me. I know other brands have warranties too as well, but I will have to pull trans back out of there is a problem. Let me know what the general opinion is about Suncoast, ATS, and Ford factory trans please. I don't race or sled pull. Its a daily driver and I tow about 10K pounds about 5 times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Get one from Doug at GoGo Diesel..hes in Florida
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
suncoast builds really stout transmission. I would call and see what there gunna charge you. Also for the future you should add a Dieselsite External Trans Filter system. I just ordered one a couple of days ago. I also dropped the pan and changed the filter and the little bypass one on the framerail and added Amsoil Atf, the Mercon LV equivalent one. the gauge actually reads about a hair lower now, dont know if the atf has anything to do with it or not tho. A friend of mine has an 07 6.0 with a Built Suncoast and converter and its held up for him already 95K and he pulls 5-8K twice a week every year and the 6.0 is SCT tuned and Egr delete and a few other things, hes about 540HP i think and maybe 690ft lbs or so. i cant remember the numbers 100% i dont think you really need a Souped up trans for 6K tho a Reman Ford i think will suffice or you can try suncoast or try what bwillis said
Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
For 98 percent of us the stock 5r110w is more than adequate. Personally, I'd go with a stock replacement, throw in a nice converter, and have fun.

Change the cooler as well-they are virtually impossible to get clean after a failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.