2003 6.0 tranny no reverse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Ihre Mama mag mich

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2003 6.0 tranny no reverse

I have a 2003 ford 4x4 w/auto and a 6.0l

the problem just started of not going into reverse.
1) its at running temp
2) 209xxx miles
3) recent (10k ago) full fluid/filter change
4) ONLY REVERSE!

I can put it into park, then let it sit for a min. then put the selector in REV>, the its like its still in park. i hafto go to first move the truck forward, then it might get into reverse. after a fue cycles of this.

can anyone help?

Ozone-ert1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Ihre Mama mag mich

anyone/ideas?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Ihre Mama mag mich

anyone today?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

same problem

I just started having the same problem with my truck. Its has 220K miles on it. Did you ever get it fixed? If so what did you have to do?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Multiple solenoids or in my case, planetery gear coming apart. However, mine skips forward gears and slams into reverse.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine when I put it in reverse sometimes it acts like the throttle is not even connected I can put it to the floor and the rpm will not change. If I turn the truck off than start it right back up it will go in reverse just fine. Other times it works like it should. I was hopeing to figure it out before I lose my forward gears. The truck has to drive cross country 2 or 3 times next month.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Having the EXACT same problem you are, Ben... Not sure what to think about it, and haven't seen any input on it either.

When I go into reverse -- occasionally -- it's like the accelerator isn't even connected. No RPM change, just as you described. After a minute or so, or shifting back and forth, it'll kick in and work just fine.

2006 F-250 6.0L 4x4 SRW (MSOS) / TorqShift.

If anyone had any ideas that'd be great...
Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 PM

Mine just started that today while out of town. It was cold and I thought maybe that may have something to do with it. I put it back in park, waited a minute or so and it worked ok. Looking for anyone with any ideas and advice. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine is still doing it; Ben here sent me a PM that he's going to get his transmission replaced with an ATS anyways, but, the information i'm getting says it may not be transmission related.

After parking my truck at the top of the driveway in this weather, I found out that it's doing it in the forward gears, too. Acts like the accelerator pedal isn't even connected.

Now, as long as I give it some time to warm up every time (i'm giving the glow plugs about twice the time as the 'wait to start' light shows every time) - and then letting it run for maybe no more than 15 seconds, before giving it a try - everything seems to work out.

On another forum I was told that this was indeed the ECU softare telling the truck to 'wait' or 'don't go yet' for one reason or another; cold being the primary. That if it's not responding to accelerator inputs, it's NOT the transmission. (thankfully.)

Talking to someone local who specializes in Fords (so they say) - they told me the mechanism that actually does it, is that it won't engage in a load-bearing gear (R, D, 3,2,1) unless oil has reached the turbo. So until oil has reached the turbo, the computer will simply ignore your pedal inputs.

So putting together that information, I'm wondering if:

-My oil is too viscous for the temperature. Ford recommends 15w40 for all circumstances, but I'm wondering if 10w40 may mitigate this problem?

-Something else keeping the oil from getting up to where it needs to be. That same Ford mechanic told me that with the PowerStroke 6.0's, diesel tends to seep into the oil, and can cause gelling in cold weather. Since I bought this truck used, I don't know when the last oil change was. I'm going to do one, and see if it helps the problem at all.

This is the information I've gotten since I posted; and i'm still looking into it. The problem does NOT seem to be getting any worse, and I've had at least 3-4 opinions that it's NOT the transmission. (Though one person said it could be 'slow' movement of solenoids in the transmission due to metal particulate in them, which would require a tear-down and rebuild. I'm hoping this isn't the case, so i'm going to look into the simpler explanations first.)

Diverdan: When was your last oil change; and how cold was it? You're using 15w40, I presume? And is yours doing the same thing ours are? Pedal down, 0 rpm change?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 AM

When I shifted into reverse, mashed the pedal, no rpm change. I know I said it was cold, but I was refering to the truck operating temp. The outside temp was mid 40's or so. Not cold really. I am going to have my trans flushed and fluid changed to see if that makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.