Transmission Fluid Pouring Out While in Reverse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Fluid Pouring Out While in Reverse

I went to back my truck out of the driveway today and after I got about half way down I noticed I was leaving a trail of fluid. I quickly got the truck back up the driveway, turned it off, and got outside to look.

Definitely ATF. Peeked under the truck and the back of the pan is wet around the gasket between the pan and transmission. Right in front of the rear transmission mount.

It was a little hard to see exactly where the leak was coming from so I cleaned off the tranny with brake cleaner and started the truck. Got under the truck with a light, and there was no leak. Got back out of the truck, put the truck into drive with the hand brake set, and climbed back under. No leak.

Put the truck in reverse and peaked under, and the truck is pouring transmission fluid out the back of the transmission. I only let it run about 3-4 minutes, but it emptied almost 2 quarts into my drip pan.

I know next to nothing about auto transmissions. The cooler line right above where it's leaking is definitely dry, so I'm pretty sure the only place the leak out be coming from is in between the tranny and the pan. (The truck had been sitting for about 5 days prior to being started)

Does it make sense it only leaks in reverse? I plan on going to the Ford dealer tomorrow and seeing if they have a gasket in stock. Anything else I should pick up while there?

Thanks in advance.

Duncan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
first guess is a rear seal. Pick one of those up too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.