Possible Trans issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible Trans issue?...I'm stumped!

I'm having an issue with my truck. It's an '04 F-250, 6.0, auto that has a little over 63,000 miles.

When accelerating from a dead stop it used to have a clunk feeling at about 2 or 3 mph. It felt like the TC was fully engaging heavily but I'm not sure. You could feel it more the slower you accelerate.

Now when I accelerate, it feels like it's not fully engaging the gear and it kind of jerks for a moment until we start rolling. From there it shifts just fine through all the gears, until I hit highway speed (50-65). I can feel it kick into OD, where before all I'd ever notice is that the RPMs dropped a little.

When slowing down everything is normal until right before I stop. It feels like the transmission is fighting to downshift. I've also noticed that there is a bit of delay from when I shift, to when the truck actually shifts (usually in and out of park or reverse).

For what it's worth, I've also noticed that when I shift it into third gear from a stop, it won't start in first gear. It just wants to stay in third. When I'm stopped in park and shift into first gear the truck will feel like it's pulling, similar to partially engaging and disengaging a clutch in a manual (short and jerky). It only happens sometimes, and there is no rhythm to when it does it. Also, my tow/haul button rarely works when I push it.

I don't know much about automatic transmissions, any input would be appreciated. I'm probably going to have it looked at this weekend, but would like to know what I'm up against before I take it to anyone.

Last edited by BLD; 07-21-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update

I just got my truck back today from the shop. They had a heck of a time diagnosing the issue, and decided that it was the OD solenoid that needed to be replaced...It seems like that's not the problem.

The night I dropped it off they said they were barely able to limp the truck into the shop as they were closing. The next morning it drove great without showing any symptoms. They dropped the pan expecting the worse, but found the fluid and filters clean and in great shape.

On my way home I noticed that the truck felt a little different, but by the time I got home (rough 45 minute drive) The truck was exhibiting the same issues. When accelerating from a stop it feels like trying to accelerate with a wore out clutch in a manual. Once in gear and moving it shifts just fine. When I went to back it into my driveway it took several seconds longer to shift from drive to reverse than it usually does. When it finally shifted it did it way harder than it used to, and probably much harder than it should.

I'm calling the shop tomorrow, but I could really use some help getting to the bottom of this one. I'm hoping it's a simple issue that can be resolved before the problem takes out my whole transmission.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.