Trans not going into any gear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans not going into any gear

I have a 2005 F550 with a auto, Power stroke powered, chassis cab truck.
On Saturday I had a welder build and weld a rack on the utiulty body.
Tuesday was the firstday I started and moved the truck since.
Truck drove about 500 ft hooked up to a bobcat tralier. Then drove 200 ft. I put it in park, then 5 min later( Never turned it off) It was like somestole my driveshaft. All fwd and R was nothing, I moved the 4x4 shifter thinking maybe I kicked it into N ( NO was fine).
After fussing trying every thing finally went into gear. Drove 1/2 mile stopedon side of rd because I relized truck would not shift out of ( I guess 2nd Could not go over 30 mph with out red lining) Trans was NOT SLIPING at all plenty of tourque.
I put in park checked fliud 1 qt low maybe at best, ( RED not discolored)
I could not get back in gear. Shifter moves fine, when in D seems like nothing is turning.
I had some one move shifter through all gears, It was moving part on side of trans ( cable not broke, Check 4x4 also NP.
I pushed the truck back to my shop/yard with the bobcat, Aparenttly N and P is working fine.

Can Anyone point me In a direction, like a relay, computer module, Pump switch,or something electronic that controls the trans, but would also play a part of putting it in gear.

I had no problems with trans Saturday before the welding, Battery was not disconnected, As required. I drove the truck Saturday for 3 hrs was perfect.

I had it towed Tuesday to a shop who does my motor work on theses trucks I
Have two of them.
The shop said I need a new trans they ran all computer checks, But that makes no sence to me. There was no vibration, or slipping. I trust the shop but I have my doughts on there diganosis this time.
The truck has 88K on it I just did 3K worth of motor work to keep this piece of S running, egr cooler, oil cooler new turbo, a whole list 3 injectors.

Thanks for reading any advise would be great.
Sorry about the book, but wanted to tell all info I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

from my experiences i think it is the front pump went out. and when mine went out there was no slipping or anything. was driving down the road, stopped put it in park got out while it was still running, got back in 2 minutes later and nothin, no drive, 1st,2nd or anything.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

O that sucks, I have always had some kinda of problem before a no go situation.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok it's all fixed here was the problem.
The trans was going into gear and shifting fine. The transfer case plantery gear was broken. so of course that seemed there was no drive. My tranny shop Advance Transmissions in Smithtown. Took it in and started lookin from scratch. Not beliving any thing the general shop had said about the trans. Good thing if I would have got a trans and had the other shop put it in i would have been screwed.
Danny at Advance got in the truck put it in drive and with in 2o seconds relized he heard the trans shifting. took it in the shop removed the transfer case, found the Shift fork was melted. He said it must have been miss aligned and been rubbing or pressing the gear for a long time. He had the truck done the next day, and works great. He rebuilt the whole unit going through it part by part, and gave me a 12/12 on the unit.
He had rebuilt my dodge trans 3 weeks before, which has a cummins in it, 03 ram 3500 srw. It has been working great also.
It is weird though that the shift fork was rubbing for so long, the truck only has 81K on it. I hope it's not going to happen to my other F550 same exact truck. We will see.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Congrats on finding a good guy who knew what he was doing! Glad your truck is back on the road. I wonder how many other trucks have this same condition (rubbing) and it's just waiting to go out on us.... Did you get a sense of how many times your guy had seen this problem before?

Thanks for your post, Chris! We now have a starting point if this problem presents itself to one of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.