Question from a new guy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Question from a new guy

Hey guys,'I just bought my first diesel about two weeks ago and I have a question. When I first start up my truck in the morning or evening, it doesn't matter if it's 40 outside or 80 degrees outside, if I take off right away after starting before it's warmed up alittle, it won't shift out of first until 3 grand if I hold steady on the pedal. And shifting from 2-3 and 3-4 is slow too. Once it warms up it runs perfect though. Is this normal for 6.0 diesel trucks, or is something wrong. I've read both.
Also, from a dead stop if I hammer on it, through first gear it seems like the acceleration is slow. After a stiff shift into second, then the truck really starts to move!! Is there a problem here or is this a turbo problem?
Like I said, it's my first diesel and I don't know much about them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Any mods done to the truck that you know of?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't find anywhere where a programmer was mounted. I don't know if they put a chip in it. I'm guessing not. But I don't know for sure. It has a k&n filter, but the exhaust is still factory.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ive had my 2004 6.0L since 07, and almost all the time it would be hard shifting when its cold. however just couple weeks ago i read about switching to 5w-40 rotella-t synthetic oil. it helps with cold starts. it has improved 100% maybe you can try that, may help or may not. but now my tranny is going out, too many mods done to truck
Old 05-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll have to look into the 5w-40 thing. I'm trying to read all the stuff I can and soak in the knowledge! I hear good and bad about the premium gold coolant, I'm doing alittle reading on it now. Everything about my 5.0 f150 was so much simpler!!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

one thing i do know about the motorcraft premium gold is that if you have a 6.0L use onnly the motorcraft coolant premium gold. if you have anything else in it flush the coolant, you can get it done at jiffy lube for under a hundred bucks....at powerstrokehelp.com this guy is kinda strange but he knows just about everything with the 6.0L's, and it states in your owners hanbook to only use it. if you dont it may cause head gaskt leaks etc..etc.. i dont think it will cuz i went 2 years without using it lol, but then i learned about it all and decided to switch just incase
Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also if there arent any mods done to it you may want to look into deleting the egr valve, do research on that part too. its one of the biggest problems on 6.0L's its where almost all problems start with this truck. if they never had put it in this truck would been a super badass truck...completly stock!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Deleting that would mean that exhaust isn't recirculated right?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And would this help at all with the WOT takeoff? I've heard that is normal and you have to feather the pedal in, not stomp on it. I've also heard that it's not normal and it should shoot out like a rocket from the pocket. I've heard both about the shifting too, that it's normal that you have to let it warm up, and that its not normal and you should be able to take off right away. I'm afraid to talk to the dealer because they always say something isn't right and needs to be replaced.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it still should circulate, all the egr does is make it cleaner and cools the gas down, but when its "cleaning" the gas it also clogs the valve up some people just have it cleaned, but removing it is the best way. especially if you want to do any mods to truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, problem, shift, sluggish, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.