5R110 probs... erratic operation.. any ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to DBenson
5R110 probs... erratic operation.. any ideas?

hi guys,

07 F350 4X4, use it for snowplowing, started acting up yesterday as follows...

I've got an SCTX3 and I can datalog... not sure what to look at though...

any help would be great! I'm currently looking for bad connectors, chafed wires, then will start pulling covers and checking filters/fluid for contamination.

Here's the series of events...

• Been running stock program (SCT from Innovative) for several months now, no tunes installed.
• Truck is stock except for Banks Turbo back exhaust, engine is working perfectly.
• Plowed for a few hours with the truck on Thursday night, no problems.
• Got in the truck yesterday morning noticed a delay shifting fom Park to reverse, this is now consistent.. always a delay engaging now when shifting from Park to reverse OR Drive.
• Drove 20 miles on highway, shifting was erratic… truck was shifting at 60mph steady speed… would seem to hit “neutral” for a split second, then engage again.
• Started driving home on highway @ 55mph .. noticed temp gauge increasing (aftermarket Autometer gauge installed on cooling line near the shift cable linkage)
• Temp was approaching 210 degrees.. .so I pulled over, checked fluid.. level ok, pink colour, not dark.
• Tried driving a bit further, temp still increasing, pulled onto secondary roads for slower speed… temp gets up to 250 degrees… I pull over, shut it off… shifts are very erratic at all speeds… shifting when it shouldn’t be.
• Tow/Haul or normal mode, doesn’t matter… no engine light, no flashing tow/haul light.
• Call tow truck.. wait two hours, truck cools down… tow truck still an hour away… so I try driving again, trans temp is down around 100 degrees now (cold day)
• Shifts are still a bit erratic, but works much better when cold…. Drive about 5 miles, shifts get erratic again, tow/haul light starts flashing, eventually engine light comes on. Temp is up a bit, but not abnormal… can’t remember exact temp.
• I pull out my programmer and check codes… I have a P0762 (solenoid c stuck) and another that disappeared before I wrote it down, but it seemed unrelated.. something like throttle control out of range? Didn’t seem to relate to tranny, and it’s never come back.
• Truck seems to be dragging when pulling away from a stop after warmed up (in two gears maybe?)
• Park truck for several hours, come back when it is cold and drive it another 5 miles home (it’s 10 degrees below freezing).. truck worked sorta ok, tow/haul light flashing, shifts aren’t quite right, engine light on.
• P0762 is still the only code I have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Take it to a trans shop. Youve got solenoid pack issues.

Which canned tune are you plowing in?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 AM

no tunes when plowing.. only time I run tunes is unloaded on distance trips for improved mileage... honest!!! :-)

I'm quite capable of installing new solenoids if this is REALLY the problem. The pan is coming off today, but I really don't expect to see anything physically wrong. If I knew I could rely on the OBD code, then I would just install the SSC solenoid and give it a try.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 AM

just pulled the pan, lots of fine metal debris throughout... this is more than just replacing a bad solenoid now.

What are the best options for rebuilds? Suncoast? I need it fixed fast to service my plowing contracts. What is everyone's experience with the various rebuilders?

I need this to be a bulletproof work truck... not a race car.

Opinions?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
BTS suncoast or NADP are best
Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

suncoast is probably the fastest turnaround. Buddy of mine has a stage 4 in his work truck and he loves it.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
NADP would be closest to you I think, but I sure love my BTS, but BTS is a wait to get on the list.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Check these out.

Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive Ford Truck-Car-Van 4-Wheel Drive 4-Speed and 5-Speed Automatics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.