Flashing "tow haul" light, CEL and dead tranny temp gauge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flashing "tow haul" light, CEL and dead tranny temp gauge

I was on my way to work, doing aroing 45mph and my tow haul light came on for no reason and started flashing. my odometer display said "check gauges" and I noticed my tranny temp gauge was completely dead. I got to the parking lot, and turned it off, waited a few seconds then started it again and everything was still the same only now my check engine light was on aswell. Truck ran fine for the 2-3 miles it was acting up.

This morning, I start my truck, an the CEL is still on but nothing else is happening. I checked my tranny fluid, and started home. about 2/3rds of the way home, same thing. flashing tow haul and check gauges and dead tranny temp gauge. Truck seemed to be running fine but what the hecks going on!

It always seems these things happen on a monday when I go back on shift and have no way of getting the truck in to have the codes read.

If anyone has any ideas of what it could be, or if I can at least limp my truck around for 3 more days without destroying something....Sure would appreciate it....

Thanks for your time guys...This will be the 2nd time this forum has saved my ***!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'd say it's the internal fluid temperature sensor.

Does it still shift fine or is it in limp mode?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

TFT sensor failures seem to be the only failure I have seen on these transmissions, and the failure is relatively few, out of the thousands of them out there. There used to be a few that would let go the reverse clutch drum snap ring on late-2004 and early-2005 model years. Other than that, these transmissions have been very trouble free compared to the 4R100 transmissions they replaced when the 6.0L was introduced.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 AM

I had exactly the same thing happen except that my transmission fluid temperature gauge went to hot after driving a few miles. Replaced the transmission fluid temperature sensor, and the problem was solved.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

same thing happened to my truck. replaced sensor and all was good again.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Yep it was the tranny fluid temp sensor. When I called the first time to price the parts, they said it would be 79 bucks for the sensor. I tried shopping around but nowhere else carried it. 2 weeks later I went in to bite the bullet and buy it, and turns out, Ford decided to drop the price down to 13 bucks!

Changed the filter why I was in there, and shes been running good since then!

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Suede View Post
Yep it was the tranny fluid temp sensor. When I called the first time to price the parts, they said it would be 79 bucks for the sensor. I tried shopping around but nowhere else carried it. 2 weeks later I went in to bite the bullet and buy it, and turns out, Ford decided to drop the price down to 13 bucks!

Changed the filter why I was in there, and shes been running good since then!

Thanks for all the help guys.
13 bucks??? Wow!!! You got one hell of a deal. I wonder if that's a new price across the board or just at your dealership. When I changed mine, it cost me $100..yeah, $100...just for the sensor.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:25 AM

The guy at the parts counter said its price got dropped throughout ford and it has a new part number now too.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:23 PM

Well problem free for a while now, quick question, maybe. I kinda went off road today got the truck jumping pretty good was coming out of the seat and did use 4x4. anyways drive back to a main road and hit it pretty good get up to 65 and notice my tow/haul is flashing Never looked at my dummy gauge only was watching my actual temp gauge never above 140* so i kept going truck drove perfect no problems shifting just light flashing. got home turned the truck off then back on and not only is it still flashing but now my cel is on. I haven't gotten codes read yet, but other than the temp sensor could I have jarred something loose. hopefully I can get codes read tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is it locking the converter normally? And, if there's a check engine light, you can check the code at advance or AutoZone, wont tell you much, but maybe could point you in the right direction. There is probably manufacturer specific codes stored that the advance auto scanners won't read. How often do you change the fluid and all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.