Transmission oil Schaeffer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Transmission oil Schaeffer

I had my truck in the shop for the transmission overhaul and they put in Schaeffer 204SAT/B. I was told by another shop that this was not the right oil as it is only good for haevy towing but not for normal driving. The right oil would be Mercon SP. Should I now have this oil replaced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would, ford recommends Mercon. But if I am correct the tranny is a 18 quart system and just dropping the pan only releases 9 quarts. I think a flush is the only way to get all 18 out...I'm pretty sure I am correct. But Mercon is the way to go
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaboy02powerstroke View Post
I would, ford recommends Mercon. But if I am correct the tranny is a 18 quart system and just dropping the pan only releases 9 quarts. I think a flush is the only way to get all 18 out...I'm pretty sure I am correct. But Mercon is the way to go
The problem is that the transmission shop gives a 3 year warranty or 100k miles. Statement: must flush and filters every 30k or every 3 years (with Schaeffers ATF). So the question is does it do any harm to keep it and also keeping Schaeffer and have warranty or go by the book and loose warranty.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

How much was your tranny build? If they want to honor it when it messes up using their specs, then i guess that is alright. A 100k warranty isn't bad but a BTS comes with a lifetime warranty I would talk to the shop and feel them out on how comfortable they feel about their oil. The only thing is that maybe they are a distributor/vendor for that oil and want you to use it

Either way it is a 4R100 right? I don't think it matters about what is replaced, its a 4R100. I would also call Brians Truck Shop (BTS) and just see what they say...

lets us know what happens
Old 07-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaboy02powerstroke View Post
How much was your tranny build?
Either way it is a 4R100 right? I don't think it matters about what is replaced, its a 4R100. I would also call Brians Truck Shop (BTS) and just see what they say...
The problem was this:Tow haul light came on, when shifting from 1 to 2 it went back to 1 and then to 3. Diag. P0751, P0766,P0771, P2700,P2703, P2704.
Then they gave it to overhaul with replacement of torque converter and solenoids, all related seals, gaskets, related parts by an specialized transmission repair shop for $2800. This shop gives the warranty by using Schaeffer. For diagnose and replacment I paid additional $900.
They told me that Schaeffer was the superior product, that's why they use it although even Schaeffer does not recommend that oil in their facts sheet for replacement of Mercon SP, only for Mercon.
The shop is willing to replace the Schaeffer oil with Mercon SP at no cost but would not give warranty anymore.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Premium Member

That is a tough one, but I think you had a fine transmission from the go...there are numerous articles on here about o/d lights coming on and flashing. I don't think you needed a rebuild, I may be wrong. I haven't read/learned enough about these type issues to shed much light. But if they are going to offer you a 100k warranty, I wouldn't change oils now. If it is as "superior" as they say it is, then test it for 100k. Wish I could be of more help.

I would seriously call a John Woods transmission and BTS (Brians truck shop) and tell them symptoms, what they fixed/replaced, and the oil they are recommending. Then I would judge what to do after talking to both of them. They know the 4R100 like nobody else!

Good luck man!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As it is a done deal and this oil is used by all other trucks the shop is serviceing and also BTS is using Schaefers I will stay with it and have the warranty.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Premium Member

There you go then, bet that is a sigh of relief lol
Old 07-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
Schaefers is quality stuff! I would not hesitate running it, esp for that warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.