Tranny surges at stop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny surges at stop

Hey fellas, happy 4th of July. Was hoping someone could help with an issue that just started yesterday. I went up on a 100 mile drive. After the drive up, tranny was fine. Came home yesterday and notice while at stop, in D and R with my foot on the break, the tranny would somewhat engage and surge. Definitely not my motor, does perfect in neutral. It isn't a big surge, almost feels like a bump - like the tranny is trying to engage but then doesn't.

I don't think it is the line pressure solenoid because it shifts nice and smooth all the way though the gears. Only happens when at a stop. I thought maybe my tranny was still relearning because I just put new tires on and went to 36"s from the stock size. But it wasn't doing this at all when I got the new tires and it has been about two weeks with them on.

Hoping someone could give me a quick diagnosis from their experience. Oh, I have no loss of power and as I said it shifts perfectly though the gears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Guess I should add, wasn't towing anything, no tuner, and it is a 2003 6.0 with 56K miles.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

maybe TC engaging and trying to move?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM

That is exactly what it feels like and I have no idea why. I am going to try the trans relearn procedure tomorrow and see if that helps. I am putting a coolant filter on it and will leave the batter cables off while I am doing it. If that doesn't help, I am going to drain it and replace the filter and refill. HAHAHA I love this truck, but it is one of the most unreliable vehicles I have ever owned.

Out of curiosity, anyone know the external filter part number and recommend a auto trans fluid (not sure if we are still supposed to use the SP or what)? Can I get these items at Autozone, NAPA, etc...
Old 07-05-2010, 02:19 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

if you have the 51110R, use the SP, otherwise use Mercon V.
Not sure about the coolant filter.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2005 f350 dually with 75,000 miles on it. Everything is stock. I am using napa gold "wix" oil and fuel filters and 5w40 rotela T synthetic oil. I dont know if or when the trans fluid and filters have been changed and the coolant.

I had the same or similar problem with it this weekend. I spent about an hour driving 80mph, got onto a side road doing 70mph. I went to pass and the truck wouldnt shift down out of overdrive. It also was surging at stop signs. About five or ten seconds and the tach would jump about 1 or 2 hundred rpm's and the truck would surge foward like i had just goosed it. It also shifts at a higher rmp when cold, and a couple of times I had to let off to get it to shift at all. The surging and problem shifting down just started this weekend, and is also the first time i have ever had it up to 80mph. I hate to have it flushed, becouse of the problems i've had with other vehicles in the past after they got a trans. flush. Any advice or ideas would be welcome.
I also have problems with the factory brake controller not feeling like its doing as much as it should. It is cranked all the way up and I can hardly feel anything when I hit the brakes and usually only get 1 or 2 bars on the controller. Maybe the controller is talked about on another thread, but it takes alot more time then I usually have to go through looking for related topics. I know the store bought controller on my other truck would lock up the brakes on the camper im still pulling, if it was turned all the way up like the factory controller is now.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could be a sensor. I know that there is a barometer sensor somewhere that compares atmosphere pressure with your exaust backpressure and is somehow tied in with the turbo. If this goes bad it causes a similar symptom.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 AM

I had the same problem and it got to the point where it would just stall out. Towed it into the shop and got a new TCC solenoid, flush, and reflash. Worked great for 3 days now it wont go into gear. So back to the shop it goes.

They did tell me that the surge could be a stuck open Egr valve but having a bad TCC solenoid or stuck solenoid could also be the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.