What is "normal" for a cold trans... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is "normal" for a cold trans...

I'm a new owner of a '07 F350 auto with 152k miles on it. Truck runs fantastic 99% of the time but I'm not sure if this 'one thing' is normal or not after reading people's posts...

When the truck is stone cold, like sitting overnight in 50 degree weather (55-60 degrees by morning) I'll turn the key and it'll fire right up and smooth out immediately. I'll let it idle for about 30-60 secs and then put it into drive. At this point, it still feels good. I live on a quiet HWY, so when I pull out of my driveway I want to slowly accelerate out of town to 55MPH and head out to where ever I'm going.

As I lightly accelerate, the motor's power seems to platuea at 2,000RPM+. If I hold the throttle steady, the truck accelerates to about 2kRPM and then stops accelerating and doesn't shift. If I accelerate harder, the engine will grumble up to 3,200-3,400RPM and then hard shift. It'll do this cycle a second time for the next gear.

On my normal route, I'd travel 1 mile and then turn left... When I slow down and make that left turn, the truck will have full power and the transmission shifts fine (about 2k RPM) from there on out. I can drive it for hours and it runs great.

I've read that "You need to let the truck warm up..." and that the torque converter won't lock up until certain temps, etc. In my mind that would mean driving it gently for a distance under 2k RPM... In rality, if I did that I would be stuck in 1st gear for miles...

Any advise or suggestions?

Truck is stock. Engine oil was just changed by ford dealership. It's going in for a 150k mile service soon. This is my first diesel and my first Ford but I'm a competent mechanic when it comes to gas cars/trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 10:39 AM

I also have an 07 F350 with 120k on it. It does the exact thing you are describing. Once it goes through the gears once it seems to be fine until the next cold morning.

Anyone with any insight on this?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, I have an update! My truck is now shifting fine and the cold start and cold idle is DRASTICALLY improved...

Take your truck in and have them re-flash the TCM, PCM and FICM (Fuel injector something or other...) to the current versions.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mine does that with certain tunes when it is cold. Once it warms up, it shifts fine. In stock form, it shifts fine regardless.

PS. On some of my other tunes, it shifts perfect warm or cold.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What are you tuning with?

Prior to the OEM reflash I tried using an Evolution Edge programmer with noticeable power gains but no improvement to the shifting problem.

After the OEM reflash, my Edge won't work. It displays data but won't program...
Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich87T View Post
What are you tuning with?

Prior to the OEM reflash I tried using an Evolution Edge programmer with noticeable power gains but no improvement to the shifting problem.

After the OEM reflash, my Edge won't work. It displays data but won't program...
Now that you have reflashed to the latest versions, you may have to update the Edge and make sure it has the latest sofware.

Not real familiar with the Edge Evo, but it's a possibility.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did update the Edge when I got it. I'll plug the Edge back into my laptop and see if it updates a second time.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich87T View Post
I did update the Edge when I got it. I'll plug the Edge back into my laptop and see if it updates a second time.
Let us know I have an edge evo also.
JER-1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.