Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Where to start?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Flamed99 
#1 ·
Okay so here my problem.

Driving along my trans (auto 2006) shift fine in all gear until it gets to 5th gear torque lock up 55 mph. It starts shack and stutter. Like it slipping. I'm leaning towards torque converter. But I don't want to put a bandaid on a big problem. What are some test to find out of torque converter is bad. Compared to trans needing replacement. Most likely I won't be working on it so I don't want to pay for stuff I don't have to. Any help would be great.
Oh also it stick no tune I have edge cts for monitoring

#3 ·
Thanks for quick reply. No mods to the truck or trans basic stock just larger tires. It does work shift through all gears up to fifth but once that tc locks up it start to stutter. And stumble around 55-65mph trans fluid is good not smelling burnt. No cods nothing blinking. Only codes I have are for glow plugs and egr insufficient flow.

#7 ·
Unfortunately I can't hear it, but what you describe and what we see from your monitor is typical for an injector problem under load. In OD at 1600ish RPM there is not much power available for the rolling drag and that is the best (or worst) place to see what a weak injector can do! If you were to pull the soft codes you may see a cylinder balance/contribution code. The reason you don't see it very well at lower speed is that with the reduction gears of transmission there is less load on the motor, and very often at higher RPM the injector will operate normally. If you had 2 weak injectors you would probably notice the problem right from start-up at idle, with little power during acceleration.

If it was the TC in lock-up you would typically hear a clanking or growling noise from the sprags and pressure plate, but it typically would not slow the engine down.

In any case, you will need to have the truck diagnosed with a service level computer unless you get a good code for the problem.

#8 ·
Well it's been a minute haven't really drove the trunk only short distance and under 50. And to decide to read my codes and got a new code p0272 injector #4 unbalanced so did some research because wasn't sure what means. And then I remembered your post when I read this guys post on another forum. Looks like need to move out of tranie ville and to engine. Thanks for help guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.