Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tips/Tricks for Transmission Install/Removal

15K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, the old Torqshift kicked the bucket a little while ago. In two days it went from shifting fine to limp mode, slipping, and some nasty looking fluid. Got P2703, P2701, P0766, P0757, P1744, P0741, and most likely unrelated p2199. Seeing as I don't have the cash to get a built transmission or have a reputable rebuilder anywhere nearby, I have scored a donor from an 06 F550 with the torque converter for a whopping $375 @ 140k miles. I am acutely aware of how necessary it is to do a thorough flush of all the lines and the cooler, but my question is what other little pieces of advice can anyone here offer that has caused them a headache or wished they had done differently? Gonna be taking this beast on next weekend, and would like it to go as smoothly as possible.

Also, as a side question, has anyone heard of a transmission dying this quickly and what might cause it? My truck has a pretty stout tune on it, but it is pretty lightly modded. Stock turbo/injectors, studs, BPD cooler, egr delete, and BPD FICM. I get on it pretty good here and there, but compared to the abuse my buddy's 6.0 has endured I would say it has had an easy life and he has had very minimal problems.

#2 ·
replace the air to oil cooler end of story IMO

flush the heck out of the liquid to oil cooler or replace the radiator

make a bump startswitch for the starter if your going this alone without a hoist it makes the torque converter bolts easier

check line pressures when done and make sure you reset the computer so it starts the adaptive tables fresh for this transmission

#6 ·
flush the heck out of the trans cooler

make a bump startswitch for the starter if your going this alone without a hoist it makes the torque converter bolts easier
Shortened and highlighted. The hoist has nothing to do with the bump switch!>:) It makes life worth living:surprise:

#4 ·
You don't need to replace the entire radiator. I took mine to a radiator shop and they opened up the bottom of the raidiator and replaced the oil/water trans cooler. If I remember right, it was $100 including labor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.