Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

200*, is that too hot?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JustinOOO9 
#1 ·
I dont often get caught in heavy traffic while towing heavy.
Today I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, for about 20 minutes.
In 20 minutes I moved about 100yds.

Ambient temps around 75* and sunny.
I was towing a triple axle trailer (about 2000lbs unloaded) with an 8000lbs boat, with an unknown amount of fuel in the boat (possibility of 150gals = 1000lbs roughly).
It felt a little heavy, but nothing crazy.

Temps creeped up past my normal towing range of 165-175*.
Highest I saw was 200* flat.
Once I cleared the traffic I drove for another 4-5 miles at 30-40mph.
Temps dropped to 190* on the ride.
I unloaded the boat after the ride, let the truck cool down for about 5-10min.
All the way back to the shop with an empty trailer, the temp never went above 172*.

Is 200* too hot?
Ive never seen this temp before.
It came down pretty quickly.

Trans was serviced/flushed last summer and all the filters were changed.
Fluid level is good, no smell or bad color currently.

A built trans is on my list, just not this winter.
Hoping its not my clutches or TC starting to fail causing the extra heat.

See less See more
#2 ·
MAJOR EDIT: Ignore that this is the tranny section.......... I'm still asleep.

Yes, 200F is too hot is the cooler clean?

#3 ·
Not sure man. My Mishi rad is the new style (the one everyone is waiting to be released). My main cooler is original. No idea condition inside. Gonna start with a pan/filter drop and TP filter. Hope for no shavings!

Otherwise ill be calling Andy Warren.....

#4 ·
your cooler is a air cooled unit, so pulling a heavy load in stop n go traffic is gonna raise the heat. I feel you are ok personally. esp since it was only about 30 minutes before it cooled down. if you have over drive turned off in traffic, I found it helps.

you could install an aftermarket fan kit, but typically the 6.0 trans are pretty stout. I abused mine and never saw an issue other then the 3-5 shift flare but replacing the solenoid fixed that promptly.

#7 · (Edited)
the reason the 6.0 up has the two coolers is for situations like this

the radiator cooler is the one keeping your tranny cool in traffic and backing up

i am really wondering about the Mishimoto restrictions now ?

200 isn't Dangerous by any means the redline on the guage is stupid high like 270*
I just wonder what an OEM style cooler would have run without the restrictions ?

do you have the fan clutch bypass switch ?

your cooler is a air cooled unit, .
we have dual coolers both air and coolant thats why the 6.0 5r110 typically runs soooo cool and the 7.3 guys try to mimic the setup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.