Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Built vs. Rebuilt OEM Trans

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
My transmission recently quit after 262K miles. I am weighing my options with going with a built unit, Suncoast converter, etc... or just a rebuild and call it good. What does a "built" trans give me compared to an OEM unit?

#2 ·
I haven't had to shop for a trans yet but my very basic understanding is

Built will give better clutches, TQ, input shaft that will allow you to run higher power levels and when just DD they won't slip as much when changing gears so less heat. They use the same filters, pan (unless it comes with a deep one) solenoids

Someone who has/understands building the 5r chime in please because I'm curious what all is different also.

Reactions: Lsears0013
#4 · (Edited)
I was in the same boat i searched and searched

many decent aftermarket companies and Billet options galore But Billet for me ? I didn't break anything it just fried
but what are you going to do a thousand miles from home if it chits the bed ?

find a hotel , find a shop to pull it , send it back for repair or best case the shop is allowed to repair and will be compensated

thats if they don't deny warranty because you don't have documentation of service or installation procedures like flush / new Air to Oil cooler , line PSI test ETC

so I went OEM and it is covered at all Ford dealers nation wide for 3/unlimited and it includes R&R if need be to fix

about 3500 all said and done includes TQ converter and an Air to Oil cooler but not the right one for our trucks it would work but if you had any metal at all in the fluid I would just pony up the 400 for the right cooler

also includes fluid ( that saves some $$ )

Here is who does the Ford reman http://www.almaproducts.com/products/reman-transmissions

i have had mine in for maybe 600 miles and a few months no issues

#7 ·
What about Brians truck shop? I hear they build good transmissions.

#9 ·
6.0's have some known weak links but the tranny isn't one of them. These things will last longer than they should even with a modded engine and hot street driving. Anything even close to stock that is maintained properly will generally give exceptional service life. These things can even last a long time with improper maintenance. There are always exceptions but in general, Ford hit it out of the park with the 5r110.

Jclongy, you said there are 275,000 on a 10+ year old truck but you just joined in July and have 2 posts. I'm just guessing here but my hunch says you haven't had the truck for most of it's history. It's entirely possible that transmission maintenance was neglected and it still made it to 275,000 miles.

#10 ·
Towerguy, {enter common saying regarding head of nail and whatnot}. I picked the truck up a few years ago. I typically scan through these sites, but just read posts. I figured it was time for me to join. I would agree that the xmsn may have been neglected. I will be doing some looking to see if I can figure out what the deal is before I change it anyways. I haven't had much time to look at it.

ZMANN - Are you saying that an OEM tranny is the only one that is expected to last 275K? This is the advice that I am seeking here.

#11 ·
275,000 is nothing to be ashamed of and with a service interval of 30k most are neglected because people never think of it as a frequent service item

the 08 5r is a much longer interval due to a few design changes and fluid type

heat will kill them nothing you can do to upgrade a tranny to handle heat better

#16 ·
Corey, what suggestions do you have? The truck has just over 275K and the tranny went out. A couple of months ago I bought a family vehicle, so my 250 is no longer a daily driver. I have time to wait and time to generate cash. I am also looking at putting some more power to it.

#17 ·
I carry Sam Wyse transmissions and a STG1 would be plenty for you. No need for a STG2 if your going to stay under 500hp. Comes standard with a DPC billet cover triple disk converter too. 3yr unlimited mileage warranty.

Starting to get backed up though and are about 4 weeks out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.