Surging idle after cold soak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Surging idle after cold soak

Just got my '05 6.0 back from the shop. (Ford dealer) I paid them to install ATS fire rings and head gaskets, ARP head studs, EGR blocker plate, and coolant bypass hoses on the heads. I've got a Banks Big Hoss bundle with the Six Gun, and Speed loader. They also re-flashed the ECM with the latest program that includes the annoying injector cycle after shutdown. The truck runs great, and doesn't loose a drop of coolant. After cooling down all night, and starting it up in the morning, I noticed that the idle is erratic. It starts good, then instead of going to high idle, it idles at slow rpm, then speeds up, and you can hear the turbo whine real good at the tail pipe. Then it will kick down again, and surge, or almost stumble, then will speed up. Could this be air in the fuel system? They did take all the fuel system down to do the mods, and I'm guessing its trapped air. After driving the truck for a few minutes on the road, it runs and idles great. Any ideas??? Maybe a sensor that has something to do with temperature? What do you think Marc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 08:48 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

even with the new rogram in the pcm ,curious if you sil have a couple injectors worn causing it to run rough cold that reprogram is not a fix ,its more of preventive damage cure ,but if the damage is already done ,you could still have a injector cold star problem
Old 02-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Jon

I agree!

Many times Ive had a truck come in running rough. Did a powerbalance and seen maybe a couple injectors dropping out on cold start up. I replace the bad injectors and reflash it. 2 weeks later it comes back with a couple more out. So i'm guessing you have another injector or two or three. Get her checked out and let us know.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I brought the truck in to the shop to get the puking problem fixed, it ran and idled perfectly. The truck only has 19000 miles on it, and the only trouble with it was it puked under load, or when running my Banks and getting in to it. Do you still think it's injectors? How about entrapped air? I started it this morning, and it surged at idle, but not near as much as it did initially. Do you think it might work its way out if it is air, or is there a technique to bleed it?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:08 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

its not air in the system at this point, if you only have the problem during cold start , i would let somebody run some diagnosis .on it ,im thinking maybe fuel pressure test might be something to check ,see if not building up right off ,also if you ran egr block off plate it could be a software issue that might can be taken care of by calling banks and see if they have seen that concern
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.