6.0 runs bad, no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 runs bad, no power

I just bought a 2004 6.0 I changed the oil and fuel filters in it and shortly after that it started running bad. It only runs bad after it has sat over night. Almost like it is losing prime or something. Runs great after it is up to operating temp. No check engine light and i have not scanned for codes. Anyone ever have an issue like this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Chapter Director

i would start by checking to make sure that your filters are inplace right not messed up or anything seeing as how that is the last thing you did
Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 PM

I have pulled filters out and put back in. Also cleaned egr valve, but still runs bad, but only first thing in the morning. Talked with a buddy and he said it sounds like it may need injectors. Is there anyway to run a buzz test on these like the 7.3?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes you can do a buzz test on your injectors. also check glow plug relay and glow plugs.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to BLKF250
someone correct me if iam wrong, but from what i heard was the injectors has to stages one is cold and the other is warm...i bet after a few miles of driving the truck will move and run great....but in the morning it doesnt want to go anywhere....same thing happen with my truck and iam 99% sure that your injectors are going bad maybe not all of them but some are....when mine when bad i had 4 and thery where 1-4-5-7
Old 06-01-2009, 05:23 PM

That is what is happening. I go out and start it about twenty minutes before i leave for work and it still barely makes it out of the driveway. A couple miles down the road once it is warm it runs great and never has anymore problems.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 PM

yeah bud your injectors are going bad iam assuming you got 75k or more on your rig..iam not sure how many are bad only way to find out it for a buzz test. If i where you i would get that fix asap cuz if you dont your FICM will go out awesome and your truck will be a bi*** to start...i found that out the hard way...If i where you i would start with a buzz test then find out which ones are bad then fix it...If your handy and can work on cars a little and dont have a warrenty them replace the injectors yourself there not bad at all...buy the gasket kit from ford ($4.36 per injector) and get the injectors offline or something if you need any help or anything PM me or feel free to ask question its a a pretty easy fix
Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 PM

i meant also not awesome sorry
Old 06-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Alright thanks for the help. Are there only certain injectors that will work in my truck or will any 03-07 6.0 new/reman injector work?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM

yeah any 03-07 new/reman injector will work....heres a few helpful tips for you if you do it yourself.
1- replace all the gaskets on the injector (part # 3c3z-9229-aa) if the copper one at the bottom where the nozzle comes out (remove with a small flat head or something sharp but use caution)
2- to remove the injector harness from the head use a 12 point 19mm socket just press down on the socket and the harness will slide right out.
3- when putting on the new copper gasket use a 9mm so that gasket sits flush on the injector also lube with clean oil all gaskets on the injector when reinstailling it.
4- torque injector to 24 FT pounds

hopefully these tips help you out after it you will saved yourself some money and feel good knowing the truck will run awesome when you go to start it up in the morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.