oil leak, then engine dies and wont start again - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 01:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak, then engine dies and wont start again

i was driving home and got on it a little bit and noticed the motor is kinda bogging down. so i slowed down to a stop and then the motor just dies and wont start again. so i look at the dipstick and theres no oil on it and i look under the truck and theres oil everywhere. i could see it was even on the gas tank and rear diff. before this happend i was aware of the oil leak which was small and was not getting bigger at all i have an appt to take it in mondy. so i get it home and read in the manual that the oil pressure powers the injectors or something like that so i figured since theres no oil the injectors wouldnt work. went and got a 5 qt of oil and put it in, dipstick read full, cranked it over several times and still wont start. someone please help me. i just bought this truck a few weeks ago too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well, sir im definitely no pro. I recently had something happen to me, although not with the large oil leakage. My 06 6.0l was becoming longer and longer on starting. I continued on driving it thinking nothing of it. My wife took the truck to louisiana and said that it was becoming longer and harder to start, although she thought nothing of it as well. She started it bone cole in the morning and drove it home and said it drove fine until she turned it off at a local restaurant. When she went back out to fire it up, it would not start. The truck tried to turn over but wouldnt ever fire on up. I had it taken to a friend of mine, who is a great powerstroke diesel tech. He told me that it had an oil leak in the valve and regulator that led from the high pressure oil pump. He also indicated that an o-ring or seal of some sort was largely gone thus resulting in a loss of pressure in the H.P.O.P system. He told me that he put a ford kit that contained a new valve, regulator, and feed tube back into the truck. I too noticed a small bit of oil near the rear of the engine. Ill try as best i can to articulate what was told to me. So if youre knowledgeable please correct any wrong points i may talk about here. Im merely trying to help.

The explanation for the no start was described to me as follows: The engine starts easier before the oil is heated up because of the high pressure oil pump system that engages the injectors hydraulically. The oil is thicker and has better viscosity to meet the pressure requirements to get the injectors to fire off. Once the truck is running, the hydraulic pressure inside the engine is enough to keep it running but once its turned off, it wont generate enough pressure to get it started again until the oil cools back down and is cold enough to thicken up.

I was told before the repair that one of the following was the problem:

1) high pressure oil pump needs replacement
2) hpop components need to be replaced- i.e. valve, regulator, seal, feed tube
3) bad injectors
4) fuel pump
5) fuel system control module

based on what youve told me it sounds terribly similar to my ordeal. I would say that problem #'s 1 or 2 are what youre probably looking at. I can tell you that before i consulted a very good friend, the nearest ford house was going to charge me 1100 dollars to fix only problem #2 on the above list. It ended up costing me 800 dollars to fix #'s 2 and 3 which was supposed to cost over $3000

needless to say i am all smiles because now my truck runs like it never has. I noticed that the truck starts immediately upon turning the key. Its absolutely amazing how much difference there is. Ill also tell you that my tech guy said a reflash of the computer system after these repairs is an absolute necessity. Not sure why, but thats what he said. This guy is reputable, he's been working on powerstrokes since the original 7.3l diesel was introduced. I trust him entirely. Good luck sir
Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

All pre 08 powerstrokes use pressurized oil to pressurize feul via a plunger setup in the injector to inject feul at 21k psi and up.....you have a major oil leak, which allowed the HPOP to run out of oil. If you run the hpop out of oil, it can take quite a while of cranking to fill the hpop resovoir and oil rails in the head, and purge them of air. so, get your oil leak repaired, and go from there. and don't hesitate to post with what the shop tells you before you commit to them fixing it, if you have any questions.....good luck bud!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks guys for the help. rrt1623 i think your right on option 1 and/or 2. the leak is coming from the rear of the block towards the top of the motor in the center somewhere. its been leaking very slowly but the other night when this all happend the leak was huge. i could even see the trail of oil on the road right before it died. the motor starts up quick every time, its just that since the major oil leak it wont start at all. so like ianstew said, the pressurizd oil injects fuel so since theres no oil itll prob take a while to start. i just bought this truck 3 weeks ago at he dealer and i had it towed to them this morning. they didnt say anything about charging me to work on it so lets hope i dont get any hassles.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yup sounds exactly like the problem i had brother.....they probably wont tell you anything about a price because they dont like to do that before they do a diagnostic check on it and determine exactly how much needs to be fixed. That check alone will cost you $85. they will then break the bad news. If youre within warranty requisites then it wont matter and you likely wont be charged anything. if they crack into it have em fix as much as you can while theyre in there....im glad i did. I did have a very good friend and got a heckuva deal on the price so this may not be an option for you.....with any diesel, your best warranty is a friend in the dealership that will do some cash work on the side.....trust me its worth the effort to get to know one.....even if its only for purposes of working on your truck, it will likely save you thousands of dollars in labor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.