New to this forum and I have a 6.0 question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to this forum and I have a 6.0 question

I am new to this forum and I am in the process of purchasing a 6.0. I am looking at an 05-07 range and I wanted to know what are the main issues with these motors that I need to watch out for?

How many miles can I expect to get out of a 6.0? Depending on my price range I may need to buy a truck with 80k miles or more and I wanted to make sure there is plenty of life left in the truck.

I had one guy tell me they are 200k motors but for a diesel I would expect more.

Also how is the tranny on these trucks?

I have heard horror stories on these motors but then again I have heard of guys with zero issues.

any advise as I begin my search for a truck would be greatly appreciated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think like others, either you get one thats good or you get one that is not. Be a smart buyer and you will be fine. The later year 6.0 seem to be pretty reliable. If its stock, not lifted thats a plus unless the right equipment was installed. Have a good diesel shop look it over too and check all fluids. Might cost some money but worth it.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 AM
wriott

like dukcaln said, either you get a good one or a bad one. in my case i got a BAD one. i have seen many people have trouble free trucks, many on here would say to delete the EGR system and get head studs even if you are going to leave it stock. check up on cleaning the turbo vanes (writeups on here) to keep the truck running in tip-top shape. the truck will last as long as you take care of it. the trans are great. good luck and welcome to the ORG
Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Banned

Like everyone else said just make sure to check the truck over really well and you will be happy with it .
Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 AM

thanks for the advice guys. the trucks that are bad what are the issues they mainly had wrong? If I go and look at a truck and the guy tells me he had a certain problem but ford fixed it, but it is that specific issue that is most common maybe I stay clear of that truck.

you mentioned the viens on the turbo so do these 6.0's have turbo issues?

thanks again
Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 AM
wriott

they dont have turbo issues per say (some went bad) the turbo on the 6.0 is a variable vane turbo VVT or VVGT. the vanes get covered in soot and stick either open or closed, so to get the most out of the turbo they should be cleaned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.