New 6.0 required:$17,000.00 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 6.0 required:$17,000.00

I own 2004 6.0 4X4, no mods, changed oil every 3,000 miles, serviced at recommended intervals. My first problem occurred at 55,00 miles when the EGR valve had to be repalced.At 100,994 miles(994 over warranty) I noticed steam from the exhuast and a sudden increase in engine temp. I thought I had blown a head gasket. The dealer diagnosed as a failed EGR cooler. After picking up the truck I noticed a strange vibration at high RPM. After driving the truck approx 500 miles I also lost 3/4 gallons of coolant with no signs of external leakage. There was no sign of coolant in the oil or vice versa. Engine ran fine. Brought truck back to dealer. The vibration was due to the tech shearing off bolts to the fan while he was trying to change the fan clutch( they had determined it wasn't working on the previous trip). He failed to tell anyone this. They could not find a leak, they simply performed a diagnostic and visually inpected the engine. They did not perforn TSB 06-3-8. ( I learned of this TSB from your site, thanks much!) They stated I was overfilling the tank(NOT).Approx 2 months later the check engine light goes on( I,m still having to add coolant, the rate fluctuating depending on truck usage). The code the dealer finds is P0299 which they say indicates the turbo is dirty or rusted and may need replacement, but it is safe to drive. They reset the light and it never comes back on. 4 months after the initial repair I again have steam coming from the exhuast. This time I take the truck to a different dealer. They find not only ANOTHER BAD EGR COOLER but the head gaskets are bad, scored #2 & #7 cylinders, the exhuast manifold badly rusted and the turbo rusted as well. The original dealer, of course, takes no blame for thier failure to do thier job. If they had done the TSB I would most likely be looking at a head job and not a new motor. I'm now waiting to hear from FMC district rep to see if they will help cover some of the cost( I know, good luck). Truck ran great right to the end of the warranty. New engine is warranted for 2 years/unlimited miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 02:53 PM
im fat and ugly

awe man i hate to hear that, hope fully the rep will see what the idiots failed to do and help ya out
Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Dude, that sux....Hopefully FoMoCo will see the first dealer goof, and make good on it all...keep us informed!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM

Just asking, is 17,000 what they charged!
Would think you could get parts yourself, and pay someone to install and save about 8 grand.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
Just asking, is 17,000 what they charged!
Would think you could get parts yourself, and pay someone to install and save about 8 grand.
even if he bought parts and tools and equipment I think he could do the job himself and save money. Good luck with Ford Motor Co.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Resident Tire Smoker

Document Document Document...
Everything thing that took place with this dealer.. Take pics if possible of the sheered bolts.. Having your ducks in a row definetly will help with a ford rep.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
Good luck. I hope FMC takes care of you, but with all the issues FMC is having with IH, it may be some time before you get anything out of the deal. I agree, there has to be a rolled pickup somewhere nearby with a good motor. While its out check everything out real good and install a set of ARP Head Studs and you should be much better off than a huge bill like that.

Once again, good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you are well documented, I cannot believe you will not get some relief from the Lemon Laws or Ford...... It sounds like the Dealer has a "rectal cranial inversion" and should be liable for some compensation or a major discount on a new engine....
Old 01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
If you are well documented, I cannot believe you will not get some relief from the Lemon Laws or Ford...... It sounds like the Dealer has a "rectal cranial inversion" and should be liable for some compensation or a major discount on a new engine....
I am definitly well documented. I have a copy of all work orders, even the one where they said the reason I didn't get billed for a new fan clutch(after first visit) was due to the fact the " tech confused my truck with another one in the shop". Its on the work order! And to add insult to injury, the 3 new truck motors showed up ( there is two other 6.0s parked next to mine in the shop) and were only able to complete one installation (of course not mine) becuase two engines arrived with warped intake manifolds!!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Michelle
Question Re: Starting to have exact problems

I just had some work done on my truck because I noticed that the back side of my turbo was starting to leak oil, I took it to the dealership and they said the house and duck work needed to be replaced. As soon as I got my truck back I noticed that driving it under a load especially pulling hills I could smell antifreeze I can not find a leak but I keep the reservoir filled up. Today now the check eng. light comes on and when you put the engine under a load it trys to die and smokes and it seems like the EGR valve sensor, but now where the heck is the antifreeze going and why can i smell it and never find it? Any suggestions before I take it to the dealership since they can not seem to take the truck in till monday. Thank god I bought the extended warranty, truck only has less than 63,000 on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.