Misses then puffs black smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Misses then puffs black smoke

I have an 03 6.0 and when I am going up a hill hit coughs then puffs black smoke and when this happens it looses power. Now its gettn worse when i get on it from a dead stop it doesnt power off like it use to either. I just replace the fuel pump has new injector that was bad and new fuel filters and oil change. Anybody have any ideas whats causing this. I was told maybe get the turbo cleaned but was wondering if anybody had this happen and what they did to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 PM

I had a six oh at work that did that and we ended up having to replace the turbo. We could have saved it but my manager left it doing that until it fried. Something about the vanes and selenoid crapping out which after heavy towing for a couple months fried the turbo
Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Could be something as easy as a dirty EGR valve. That is what my Mom's 03 did when hers was all gunked up.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to bryan70546 Send a message via Yahoo to bryan70546
I am having the same problem I wish one of the techs would chime in and give us some more info.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

same problem

I have an 03 also and I am having the same problem... only does it on a steep hill.. and not all the time. if I take a run at the hill it won't buck and bang.but if I put my foot into it as I start to climb.. with evey buck it sends a cloud of black out the tail pipe.. changed the egr and it is still doing it.. no engine service light comes on.. still have good power at all rpm's..took it into BD performance and ran it on Dyno and road tested it with lap top hooked up and everything checked ok except slow response time on the egr.. so changed egr and a week later the problem has returned..truck has only 25k on it for mileage

Last edited by tantus1963; 05-26-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM

well i just found out that the plastic post that your little fuel filter slids down onto up on the motor was broke. So I am hoping thats the culprit.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy 6.0 coughs and puffs black smoke

I have an '03 dually. It has the same problem as the other threads. Except I took it in to the Ford Service Shop. They said it was the EGR valve, they replaced it, updated the latest 'electronic upgrades' and charged me $600 and a month later the problem is worse. Has anybody found a solution to this problem? Thx
Old 07-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
I had a six oh at work that did that and we ended up having to replace the turbo. We could have saved it but my manager left it doing that until it fried. Something about the vanes and selenoid crapping out which after heavy towing for a couple months fried the turbo
Try the turbo vane cleaning. Under a heavy load my turbo would drop to zero boost. I cleaned the vanes with the 3M wheel as stated in the writeup and she is running great now.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:22 PM

well after all that crap i took mine to the dealer and it my egr valve was toast. they showed me what the computer was telling it to do and what it was doing was nothing. after that went bought a new one for 300 bucks and put it in. runs good now knock on wood. next though i want a boost gauge to see what my turbo is really doing to see if it might need cleaned or some work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.