Coolant Puking after years! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Puking after years!

Well need 2 things from everyone. Ideas and suggestions. Heres my issue....
Been running SCT on the truck for about 2years. Have it studded, have the little egr pipe metal disc thing put in on the backside of the engine, intake, exhaust, and aftermarket vgt. Well in the last few months I noticed it starting puking when a race file is loaded and you get on it. Then i noticed that with my new boat, 28fter, towing it with just a tow file or even hard on stock mode will give you a strong anti freeze odor under the hood. Also notice it pukes a little bit. Has not done this in the past though. Temp runs 190-193 normal driving and towing its been hitting 208-210. Any ideas? Truck is a 2004 and I have been filling it to between min and max for 2 years with no problems. It starting doing it the most noticable when I went to Clearwater, FL to pull home the new boat. It did it worse on tow mode than it did on stock mode coming home. Right before the trip i changed the Antifreeze and the new batch put in was a little on the thick side. Didnt have this problem with the 23ft boat that was about 6k lbs. Now boat is heavier. Reading older post looks like my temps are about right but the coolant puking is still new to me. Cant be headgaskets, i rarely ever use a race file and never drag race or pull it. Truck has 80k miles on it.

Also looking to see if anyone has any good shop reccomendations in the virginia/nc coastal area.

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 AM

have you had the cap tested to see if it holds the proper pressure? An easy and inexpensive starting point.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 AM

May be a problem with your EGR blocker plate?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

head gaskets or heads again
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Did the cap allready and it hasnt puked since but havent towed boat since either. Scuffy text me when I can bring it down if applicable. your shop or parkways dont matter to me.

Doug
Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 PM

What would cause HG to go with the EGR blocked and studs.....I thought it would take more mods than that....
Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have the same problem. I'm headed to the mechanic tomorrow. I have noticed when it pukes out of the bottle my oil temp has been 222 degree's or higher and the ECT's were 190 degree's and the boost at 15. Thats without pulling a trailer and cruise set at 70MPH/2000RPM's. I watch the gauges and the boost falls down to between 4 and 5 and oil temp starts falling. Actually happened today.

Mechanic said the ECT and EOT should never be more than 25 degree's different. He thinks its the EGR. If you don't find out your problem before I do, I'll tell you what he says.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:50 AM

mines doin same thing as urs, not as bad stock but a little worse with the programmar and mines at the shop right now for head gaskets. ill have a set of studs in by mid week tho so maybe itll fix that problem
Old 05-09-2009, 04:50 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFurman View Post
Did the cap allready and it hasnt puked since but havent towed boat since either. Scuffy text me when I can bring it down if applicable. your shop or parkways dont matter to me.

Doug
im not at parkway anymore , but at another dealer , pm me when you want to , about anytime i fine with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post
What would cause HG to go with the EGR blocked and studs.....I thought it would take more mods than that....
head tud and egr block off help , but a bad miconception with thi fix i it not a fix all, meaning that doent mean it cant happen again
Old 05-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Scuffy, any chance you might start a new thread giving us some info on how the average psd owner might avoid the dreaded HG issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.