Coolant leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak

This is a FYI. My 2006 6.0L F350 started loosing small amounts of coolant a couple weeks ago. I noticed dried coolant spray around the degas bottle as well as all over the front of the rear axle. There was also coolant dripping from around the transmission pan. I took it to the local dealer and they found the coolant 'hose' that runs from the firewall heater core on the passenger side of the firewall over to the degas bottle was hanging loose and rattling against the driver side turbo up pipe. It eventually (40 months) wore through the coolant hose. Although it's called a "hose" it is a metal pipe with rubber hose ends on it. The metal piece is approx 2' long and has two flanges welded to it so the hose can be clamped to two corresponding studs sticking out of the front of the top of the firewall. Neither the flanges nor the studs showed any indication they were ever properly mounted to the firewall. The body paint on the studs was original and untouched as was the black paint on the pipe mounting flanges. Conclusion is the slacker working the line the day my truck was built never bolted the hose to the firewall.

Check yours out by looking for a 3/4 inch black metal pipe with rubber ends mounted along the top of the firewall. If you can see studs above the pipe then yours is also probably not mounted properly. If you are a Ford mechanic please keep an eye out for other units where this pipe was not properly attached to the firewall and save someone the hassle associated with its failure.

Ford said that coolant pipe is not covered under the warranty. The coolant pipe (p/n 3C3Z-18472-BB) cost me $100 and labor was $225.

Possible fallout: coolant burns from steam/coolant coming out of the pipe. Exhaust gas leaks from where coolant pipe also may wear thru exhaust pipe. Coolant spilling below truck where pets can lick it up.

Rob

Last edited by robtsgt; 05-07-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 02:48 PM

I have an 03 6.0. Coolant was leaking and all along the bottom side of my truck. U think it's possible the same problem?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Possibly. Check yours out by looking for a 3/4 inch black metal pipe with rubber ends mounted along the top of the firewall. If you can see studs above the pipe then yours is also probably not mounted properly. The pipe connects the heater core on the passenger side of the firewall to the degas tank on the engine driver side. If that pipe is not bolted to the firewall it can hang down and rest on the exhaust or other part of the engine. If so where it is resting on another part will wear thru and eventually fail.

Last edited by robtsgt; 08-26-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.