05 F250 Puking coolant int.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crashtest22
05 F250 Puking coolant int..

Ok so I have a 05 and when I am towing it will puke coolant...
Its not consistant..

The last time it happend I was towing my race car had gone up and down hills but then was on flat ground for a good 15 min and the temp spiked to 220, fan came on and coolant came out of the cap..after it was done puking it went back down to 188 deg coolant temp and warmed back to mid 190's

I am trying to figure out if I have a HG problem, EGR cooler, or just a int sticking t-stat...

truck is and has been in stock mode for 1k miles or so.
I have run a bullydog and SCT on it, has a 4 inch magnaflow turbo back with no cat

I know this has been discused before and have searched but cant really find a answer to my symptoms...

please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

forgot to add....no codes....
Old 04-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

what is your mileage. Typically the coolant puking symptom is common to EGR aand HG issues. The difference is, with an EGR coooler failure, you will almost always have white smoke because there is a free path to the exhaust. And on deceleration the manifolds are in a slight vaccum. HG will have more of your symptoms, puking and overheating. There is usually no smoke associated becuase the pressure in the cylinders is almost always higher than the coolant system pressure.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have 62k on it.
I dont have any smoke out the pipe so I think its the HG's as well

guess I will order up my stud kit..
Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's a common problem. My 05 does the same thing. If you will disconnect the EGR, it will improve. The problem is not a failure of the cooler or HGs. (But it CAN lead to a failure of both) It's caused by the coolant in the EGR cooler 'flashing' (instantly boiling) as the exhaust gases pass through the cooler. When the coolant 'flashes', the steam expands and creates a buildup of pressure in the cooling system (VERY fast). When it goes above 16psi, it escapes past the coolant cap. (pukes) The source of all of this is a cooling system with marginal cooling capacity. By deleting the EGR, you take away alot of the work load for the cooling system. (radiator) Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

interesting...
I did not know that...
Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yup its always a good idea to delete the EGR cooler.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea, I just recently pulled a 32ft g.n. from ar. to ga. and back. Been awhile since I pulled anything heavy. Mine did the same thing. I have digital gauges and was shocked at how little the factory gauges responded to the rise in engine temp. I'm guessing that if you ever see the red mark on the factory gauge, you are looking at 250+F on the motor. I'm gonna go ahead and replace the t-stat as a precaution (and because I've read that the factory one is a progressive opening valve). But, based on what I've seen here in the shop, the most likely reason is that the radiator cooling fins are semi clogged. That would explain the deminished cooling capacity. If your gonna make power, your gonna make heat. And if you make heat, you need to be able to dissipate it through the radiator. Otherwise you end up with boil overs (puking) and the chances of trapping steam pockets in the block. Which would probably explain alot of the HG issues.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdually6.0 View Post
That's a common problem. My 05 does the same thing. If you will disconnect the EGR, it will improve. The problem is not a failure of the cooler or HGs. (But it CAN lead to a failure of both) It's caused by the coolant in the EGR cooler 'flashing' (instantly boiling) as the exhaust gases pass through the cooler. When the coolant 'flashes', the steam expands and creates a buildup of pressure in the cooling system (VERY fast). When it goes above 16psi, it escapes past the coolant cap. (pukes) The source of all of this is a cooling system with marginal cooling capacity. By deleting the EGR, you take away alot of the work load for the cooling system. (radiator) Hope this helps.
And the reason it does this is becuase the Oil cooler is getting plugged, and is bad or about to fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.