hows a 6.0 supposed to run? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hows a 6.0 supposed to run?

i'm going to the ford dealer tonight to test drive a new one to see how these trucks are supposed to run. by not buying mine new i really don't now how it should feel. tommorrow i'm trading a guy at work for his 04, the same as mine but a dually to see how his runs compared to mine. pretty cool of him i have to add since we really don't know each other. i'm still having problems. still huffs a huge cloud of smoke and runs rough at start up once in a while. maybe every fifth time i start it. sometimes it just idles rough. last time it did that i turned it off and restarted it immediately and it smoothed right out. the thing that really is bothering me is this. if i'm cruising say 45 mph at around 1200 rpm and start rolling on the throttle putting a good load on it without it downshifting at 1500 rpm it gets a deep lugging sound to it like a miss or a bad vibration. but you can't feel anything. the sound goes away at like 1700 rpm. is this normal?i have tried getting fuel from a few places now, no differences. tried disconnecting the egr. actually felt like it ran worse. added cetane booster/ lube/ cleaner. no difference. racing around with the throttle pinned seemed to help a little, but i shouldn't have to run this thing like a two stroke for it to run good. i'll post later and let you all know how an 06 runs compared to my 04.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just got back from driving a 06 f250 crew cab 8ft. bed 6.0 a/t lariat. just like mine but not a f350 and it only had 10 miles on it. had about the same power at wide open. but definately did not have that noise at 1500 rpm. will see how that guys at work feels. to be honest i think mine had more power down low. it did only have 10 miles on it too. they also had an 05 and an 06 gt40 there. first time i saw one up close. wow to have $175000 to waste!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

i still think you may have another injector acting up evrery once in a while...that would be the smoke and occasional rough running condition. as far as that noise......there is a tsb(techinical service bulitin) or an ssm (special service message) for the 6.0 for a stiffening bracket and an updated turbo pedistal for a noise that resonates at about the rpm ranges you guys are talking about....it will not hurt anything but i have heard a couple and it is very subtly abnoxious......have the dealer check into that......
Old 02-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

got truck back today. when i dropped it off yesterday i got to meet the mechanic and tell him first hand whats going on. and even show him the smoke i recorded on my phone. #3 is missfireing again. this injector has been replaiced in the last three weeks. ford engineers are saying its the egr messing it up. the egr valve was replaced 3 weeks ago too as a reminder. they have some kind of fix for it, and so they are telling me it should not smoke any more at start up. they ordered the turbo bracket. and reprogrammed with the latest. please may the third time back to the dealer be the charm:pray: . although i have to bring it back for the bracket to be installed.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut
got truck back today. when i dropped it off yesterday i got to meet the mechanic and tell him first hand whats going on. and even show him the smoke i recorded on my phone. #3 is missfireing again. this injector has been replaiced in the last three weeks. ford engineers are saying its the egr messing it up. the egr valve was replaced 3 weeks ago too as a reminder. they have some kind of fix for it, and so they are telling me it should not smoke any more at start up. they ordered the turbo bracket. and reprogrammed with the latest. please may the third time back to the dealer be the charm:pray: . although i have to bring it back for the bracket to be installed.
keep us informed...if it does end up being another injector failure make sure to bring up if they have checked fuel pressure yet....to make sure you dont have a low fuel pressure issue....since that will cause injector issues........Marc
Old 02-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

is it common for all of my injectors to fail? or are you finding most are just a few and then there good to go. i want to chip this truck now too. before i do it though i want to do the head studs. are there any other concerns with these motors holding up besides the head bolts? thanks marc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.