Tune/computer issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CEL (Check Engine Light) what turns it on?

A few weeks ago my CEL came on for the first time. I installed the SCT and checked for codes but none showed up so I returned to stock and CEL extinguished but returned on the next stert up. Now the same thing happens each time I retune or return to stock, the CEL remains extinguished until the net restart. I should add that the transmission shifting seems to be the only thing affected. Upon restart and CEL illumination the truck seems to shift like it has a tune installed. Stock the truck will shift up and down quickly and effortlessly whereas the non stock or tuned performance is more TC lockup where it shifts out and lugs around seemingly stuck in high gear forcing me to bury the pedal for kickdown. I'ts almost like the stock tune only remains until shut down then gets lost and needs to be reloaded. Any ideas?

Last edited by snoboy; 05-02-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 12:19 PM

What turns on the CEL? Normally an emission related item, correct? Does the CEL turn on at a prescribed mileage in these trucks?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if trans is shifting funny it in itself can throw cel on as far as tune i would unhook the batteries and kill the memory it might have to much garbage to sort thru best of luck to ya
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the response. If I disconnect the batteries will the computer default to the stock tune or do I need to reload the stock tune with the SCT?

snoboy
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not likly anything is possible boot it may be more likly to accept the tune one thing is the torqueshift trans you might experiance so shift flare as it will need to relearn i had the same issue on a truck i disconnected the batteries and hooked them back up about 20 mins later than it would loud the stock tune back in only time had any problems is when i was switching between tunes often like every other day thats when mine basically froze up that worked for mine
Old 05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have (2) 2004 F550's between the two there have been 5 Turbos, 4 injectors, 1 EGR cooler, several recals and a couple of times the boost hoses blowing off and my employees have never seen a CEL. I think Ford must have turned them off on one of the early recals. They have never come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.