05 with an oil leak--again!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 with an oil leak--again!!!

I a 2005 f250 that leaks oil every few months. First it was a power steering line which was fixed. Then the engine related stuff started. 2 rear main seals, a drain plug "O" ring, then pulled the engine to do a bedplate gasket and then a dipstick "O" ring. And now it just started the drip again. It always drips eng oil from the bottom of the bell housing. It's going in again on Tuesday. Now what?? Are all these problems common??? All I can say is I am lucky it was under warranty, but now I am into the extended warranty. What will happen after the truck is 5 years old and it is out of warranty completely???? Should I sell before this happens???

I know these trucks will last a long time, but I would like one that doesn't leave it's mark everywhere it goes......is that asking too much??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

If you want a reliable truck i recommend you dont own a 6.0. No offense to the 6.0 fellas but those trucks arent really reliable...... The oil leaks you seem to keep having arent common. I have an 05 with 109,000 miles on it and its had several problems and its actually broke down. The engine needs to come out and the crankshaft needs to be replaced Yes i definately suggest you sell it.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's a damn diesel they leak- all of them!!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles97 View Post
It's a damn diesel they leak- all of them!!
Well my friend has a diesel and it doesn't leak.....but it's not a Ford 6.0!! It's a shame because I really like this truck!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

dont be discouraged.... 6.0s are good truck sure we have a few bugs but still a great engine... i wouldnt sell mine for anything.....im sure you will solve the problem
Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dropped it at Ford this morning....engine is coming out AGAIN. They ordered every seal in the back of the motor and they are doing another bedplate gasket.....I'm crossing my fingers it lasts more than 6 months.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well i have an 05 which has about 141000 miles and it runs realy good just a few known bugs but all fixed up and ive done it all myself cause i bought the truck with no warrenty.... but its a good truck...good locuk hopefully it works out for you
Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks.....I hope it works out also since I've heard so many good things and people keep them a while.....and I don't want another one yet!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

There is no reason that your truck should be suffering major leaks from various locations. However, give 10 assemblers at the factory the wrong torque wrench and it is possible? The most likely cause was an unbalanced crank that caused your first engine problem. Other problems like the oil plug leaks... if it was cranked too tight during an oil change that all it would take to cause that one. You can not stop the slow drip once it has been stripped or over tightened due to the double hull design of the oil pan. Try using an O-ring. The dip-stick O-ring was probably damaged on insertion or it was never pushed home when the first reapir occurred. It is easy to miss on a reinstall, but no excuses from the dealer. as far as the PS hose, over time all will get wet and some hoses are made better than others. Except for the 2 rear seals, it doesn't sound like you have any major problems.

Just to put things in perspective, Ford sells more diesel trucks than all the other manufacturers combined with the PSD. Yes, there were major problems with the 03-04 MYs, but from MY05 on, the service rate is the best in the industry. There is no doubt there will be break-downs and problems and those that have problems will end up on the internet complaining about them or looking for more info. Either all the Ford diesel purchasers are dead-heads (me included) or Ford makes a pretty good product. Yes there are Fords with factory Cummins engines and conversion Cummins drop-ins. There are even a few Duramax drop-ins. For the average user that does not go stupid with the modifications there are not too many break-downs as a heavier class of vehicles. Ever wonder why Cummins derates most of its engines for service vehicles?

Unfortunately, many of the diesel purchasers had no reason to have purchased a diesel and should have bought the gasser. If the trucks are not used for their designed purpose you end up with excessive carbon deposits that lead to the primary failure of the truck, the EGR cooler and the associated problems. Dirty fuel is another culprit, most notably in the USA. Another issue that still seems to be prevalent is that many owners let their trucks idle rather than shut them down. For start-up, excessive idling is actually harmful. Same goes for letting it idle between trips. It is not an old diesel locomotive. Drive it long with the designed load and it works great. Drive it as a town cruiser you will probably end up in the repair shop.

Now, if we could only make the engine more accessible when problems come up...

Last edited by twoicebergs; 05-05-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

An un-balanced crank?? Fixing that means replacing the crankshaft which nobody has done. I understand about the ps hose and oil "o" rings, but 2 bedplate gaskets and 2 rear mains--sorry that's too much for under 30,000 miles. We'll see how it goes when I get the truck back later today.
As for the "should have bought the gasser"--you don't know what I tow or haul so you don't know if I fall into that category. When I tow a trailer with a 4,000lb car on it I wanted something that still had good power and got reasonable fuel mileage. Yes it drives around town enough, but that does not make it leak. If it did my 2 friends--one with a PSD and the other with a Duramax would be suffering the same problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.