Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I need help. EGR

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  BryanH 
#1 · (Edited)
i have a 2003 6.0
When i put my sct on the truck, i can smell coolant burning when i get on it.
If i pull the sct off the truck, there is no smell.My temperature gauge is not getting hot on my truck.
So what do i need to do.

Thanks Cody

#3 ·
i don't know whats going on with my truck.
if i accelerate with the programmer on i can smell coolant burning.

#5 ·
i don't know whats going on with my truck.
if i accelerate with the programmer on i can smell coolant burning.

That is usually signs of blown head gaskets, if not egr cooler. But usually head gaskets. If the HG's have given up the go be sure to put some ARP head studs in to prevent this from happening agian.

Most say Brown Diesel has the best price, give a google search I think they want $375 compared to $550+

#4 ·
My temperature gauge is not getting hot. If my head studs are blown, wouldn't my engine temperature be hot?

#7 ·
Sorry i meant head gaskets, so how can i find out if it is my head gaskets.
Thanks

#9 ·
Just do a degas pressure test if you think it's the HG's.
To do this buy a pressure gauge and hose the same diameter as the hose going into and out of the degas bottle.
Run a hose with line from inside the cab(Window) to the inlet of your degas bottle were you disconnected the line going in. Install a T fitting so you can hook the gauge to the T line to let you know how much pressure is going into the degas bottle.
You need to drive about 30 miles or so and tell us what the pressure reads.
You do not want over 15psi. If it gets over 15psi. HG's are blown, If not, We need to look at other thing.

#8 ·
I think the best way is a compression test. But usually when if you idle (while at running temps) you will see LOTS of white smoke and will reak of coolant.

Check out the TX home town section and see if someone can give you a good shop to go see.

#10 ·
i get white smoke when i start the truck up on a cool morning. As for when its idling there is no coolant smell or smoke

#12 ·
thanks powered sparkless. i am going this week to get it looked at by ford.

#14 ·
well my egr was unplugged, so i plug it back in.
the is no coolant on my block below ny heads.
we did a pressure check on the coolant at 16psi.and it did not move at all in 30 min.
so i don't know what to do.

#15 ·
Unplug the egr for a day and drive around. Plug it back in, Start the truck and hammer it while looking at the tail pipe. If you see a huge cloud of white smoke, Your egr cooler is going.

Or you could just go to the dealer:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.