Does RE-PROGAMING Fix injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does RE-PROGAMING Fix injectors?

With just under 4k left on my warranty I finally start havin problems. On Easter sunday i was taking my family back to the airport. (I flew them to WV for the holiday so i didn't have to lose any $$.) When as soon as i left the hotel my truck started sputering, with no power and shaking real bad. I pulled over to check if a boost tube or something came off, everything looked fine. Plugged in my cortex and gave code PO236 Cylinder 1! after about 40 miles it started running back to normal... wierd.. monday thru wed. no problems. On Thursday I had s ticket to Watch the Astros play the Pirates in Pittsburgh. About halfway there it started AGAIN!? After cheering on the Astros to a 6-3 smackdown I was dredding the trip back. somehow i noticed it was getting worse and drove it straight to Superior Ford in Morgantown, WV and now they tell me its Cylinder 1 AND 8!!!! what the hell. they said they were going to re-program it? Does that really work, or am i looking at a re-build?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Baker65336 View Post
With just under 4k left on my warranty I finally start havin problems. On Easter sunday i was taking my family back to the airport. (I flew them to WV for the holiday so i didn't have to lose any $$.) When as soon as i left the hotel my truck started sputering, with no power and shaking real bad. I pulled over to check if a boost tube or something came off, everything looked fine. Plugged in my cortex and gave code PO236 Cylinder 1! after about 40 miles it started running back to normal... wierd.. monday thru wed. no problems. On Thursday I had s ticket to Watch the Astros play the Pirates in Pittsburgh. About halfway there it started AGAIN!? After cheering on the Astros to a 6-3 smackdown I was dredding the trip back. somehow i noticed it was getting worse and drove it straight to Superior Ford in Morgantown, WV and now they tell me its Cylinder 1 AND 8!!!! what the hell. they said they were going to re-program it? Does that really work, or am i looking at a re-build?
Reflashing the PCM/FICM/TCM is supposed to address what's called cold engine injector "stiction". In other words, it's supposed to cure cold engine starting issues. If you have cylinders #1 and #8 dropping off, and it already has the latest calibration, you will need to replace the injectors. The dealer is only trying to take it step-by-step by what you describe, as opposed to shotgunning parts at it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM

So whats next? Are they juat buying time to get me out of my warranty? Does it work? what do I gotta tell them to replace the injectors?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
So whats next? Are they juat buying time to get me out of my warranty? Does it work? what do I gotta tell them to replace the injectors?
What you "tell" them won't really have much impact on what course of action they'll take with regards to repair. As a dealership tech myself, I can only say that I've been caught in many times situations similar to yours myself, where customers bring their vehicle in for an ongoing intermittent complaint just before their warranty expires, that I was unable to duplicate when the vehicle landed in my hands. Low and behold, shortly after the warranty has expired is when the symptom becomes more noticeable and/or consistent, but becomes a customer paying issue. All I can say is, if the servicing tech can't duplicate the concern after a reasonable amount of time spent to detect it, he won't be paid. Remember, even if you aren't paying for the repair while it's under warranty, SOMEONE ELSE is. And that someone else if Ford Motor Company.

On any "high dollar" claims submitted by any dealer, is where the repairs are put under a microscope. Particularly pertaining to diesel injector(s). If an injector core is returned, and either found to have failed due to customer neglect or determined not faulty, the warranty claim is charged back to the dealer, and the time paid to the repairing tech is DEBITTED on his next pay.

The point I'm making, is we aren't just allowed to replace parts that customers "tell" us to. We are put under scrutiny by Ford Motor Company as well, unfortunately.

If reflashing the modules, fails to fix your injector issues, I would be certain that the tech would be willing to replace them for you, warranty or not.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 PM

Well i'm not looking for brand new injectors or something for free. I dont wanna have this problem bite me in the *** because the dealership is pinchin pennies during the recession. They did reprogram my truck and said the problem is fixed so I am happy. But I DON'T want a BAND-AID on my truck to limp me thru the next 4k miles.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

there is the possiblity that a reflash will fix the cold starting issue. Hopefully a Tech will correct me if I am wrong, but my tech explained it to me as, the cold start update, the FICM will essentially short out the injector solenoid momentarily to heat up the oil stuck to the poppet valve (sticktion). So when the truck starts the injector will function properly.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 AM

its not a cold start problem. i had been driving for 30+ minutes already. I slowed down to take a turn on the highway and when i stepped on the gas pedal it bogged down and started shaking. and would not go
Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

Ok, thats not a cold start issue then. Sometimes it just takes an extra trip to the dealer. You get the truck back, and get it to fail right away and take it back in, and say thats it the exact same issue as before. eventually they will have to start replacing parts to fix the issue.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Well i'm not looking for brand new injectors or something for free. I dont wanna have this problem bite me in the *** because the dealership is pinchin pennies during the recession. They did reprogram my truck and said the problem is fixed so I am happy. But I DON'T want a BAND-AID on my truck to limp me thru the next 4k miles.
If it's fixed for now, just keep a close eye on it. No one is trying to pinch pennies. I feel the dealer tech is only following procedure mandated by FoMoCo. I'm sure he would be happy to be replacing your injectors for you (since the job pays more). But he can't do that without ensuring your truck is at the latest calibration level FIRST. If the symptom returns, then by all means, bring it back.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 PM

80 FRICKIN MILES!!! Thats how far I got before it started again. HA HA i should have known. because re programin the computer is NOT covered by the 100k mile engine warranty! and it did cost more than the $100 service fee. it WAS just a band aid. and now its saturday night the shop is not open on sunday but i still have to work 2moro. now i gotta wait til monday till i get it back to them!?!? what the heck? I'm sure driving with 2 bad injectors is not good for the engine itself so there's no tellin what other damage I am doin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.