early 03 block ?????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
early 03 block ??????

will an early 03 block with the icp located in the back beable to have 04.5 heads bolted up to the block. Also would an 04.5 block with the 1cp located on the valve cover in the front be interchangeable with the early 03......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Loca
Dont do it LOL!!!! You will live the nightmare I am going through! For simplicity stick with your model/year!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
i dont know if they will bolt up or not but i do know that the newer trucks have totally different internals when it comes to under the valve cover, the oil rail is different and stuff....but im not 100% sure on that man...are you thinking about scratching the cummins swap?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM

Ok here is my next question. I have an early 03 motor, the block is bad......with the icp in the rear of the motor. Will a complete 04 motor, with heads, valve covers, ect bolt right up to my exsisting stuff, ie...ac, power steering pumps, altenator, egine harness, stock turbo.....I know the icp on the 04 is in the front on the valve cover but all I think you would have to do is make the wire longer....

I am toying with, i mean toying with having an 04 dropped in if the price is right...............but its like a 30% chance that will happen...cummins conversion is still front runner. I still am selling the performance parts and all......

I am being told as long as my oil pump in behind a cast iron cover and so is the 04 block then I am good to go and all I have to do is make the icp wire longer it will work with my ecp pcm...if its an 04 with the pump sticking out an aluminum cover then it wont work...is this correct.

Anybody know of anybody who has put a late model ford, like 04.5-06 in an early model 03 truck...if so did it work and what had to be done..........
Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 PM

dukcaln read through my thread in "6.0L Problems Forum"(up one level) titled HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME.
Basically I have an early '03 6.0 and I am putting an '05 in it. It DOES bolt up fine. The problem we are having is with the PCM codes. The service tech doesn't know which PCM to get and which codes to use. New engine wiring is also needed.
If you want to wait until the final verdict is in whether this is going to work, keep an eye on that thread. I have some great people in this community helping me. Now I am just waiting for the tech to get back to me about the info I have given him.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM

LOCA, If I am changing the early 03 with the oil pump behind the cast iron case and the icp in the rear for a complete o4 motor with the aluminum case and the pump that sticks out from what i am hearing is that all I need to do is make the icp wire longer and the ecm and pcm should bolt up to the block. So if anything all I would need to do is change or rewire a plug or two for sensors....basically its a complete 04, block, heads, valve covers and intake manifold and i would bolt my ecm and pcm up...then I shouldnt have and issues....I hope....am I on the right track
Old 04-17-2009, 09:31 AM

After reading the other thread I hope you understand ours was complete too. We were also told that the ICP wire would need to be legthened and maybe the glow plug harness wiring. I am going to get in touch with that guy you mentioned and I will get back to you with what he says. Thanks for the info
Old 04-17-2009, 01:12 PM

I will post this in both threads

I talked to Ron @ Hypermax and he said that he wasn't 100% positive, but we should be able to put the 2005 PCM on that engine and program the identical truck data into it and it should be fine (in his opinion). He said that he thought that we should be able to put the F250 data on our truck, despite the ratio difference, because the engine doesn't know what kind of wheels you have - but I am not sure about that. My opinion is the PCM still has to communicate with the other sensors, which would end up effecting that.

I called the service guy working on our truck and told him to compare the 3 different sets of data and get with his people and proceed with getting the '05 PCM and go from there. If we waste money, oh well - I don't think there is any other way we are going to know if this is the answer.

Stay tuned...
Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 PM

for me, I was told by a 30 ford tech that the early 03 such as mine and the 04 will use the same pcm and even know the icp is in a different location all I need for it to work is an 04 harness........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.