no boost build up, and no power, whats wrong!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no boost build up, and no power, whats wrong!!!!!

hey i am a cummins man, dont have much powerstroke knowledge, but at our farm we got a 6.0. and well latley it is being a piece of junk!!! i usta have tons of power and would put you back in your seat wen u pegged it, now it seems to have no power, and dosent build boost till like 3500 rpms, it just putzzes along.....whats the deal, and tthe other day it was popping puffs of black smoke and the turbo psi was all over the place, and when i let off we had some turbo barking.....it seems like if you shut it off and turn it back on it halps, but i would appreciate help,....oh yeah and it says water in fuel, how do you drain the water out, and would this be a lack in power and low boost....after you have boost the thing takes offf like a rocketttt!!!

HELP I NEED THIS TRUCK TO PULL A GOOSNECK...my cummins dont have a goosneck in it....thankssss

:d oh:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Emergency Services

Sounds like one of two possible things. Or both of them together causing the problem. 1. sticky filthy EGR valve 2. stuck variable geometry turbo.

The water in the fuel light is probably just a coincidence, and your filter needs to be drained.

As for the actual problem, I would start by pulling the EGR valve and cleaning it, or replacing it. If you are resigned to replace it anyway, then get out the welder, and weld it shut. Put it back in, and see if your performance improves. It might throw a code or two if you do this.

Option 2 is a rusty crusty turbo charger. The remedy here is to remove the turbo and disassemble, clean, and reassemble the turbo. If you do a Google search about cleaning the VGT (variable geometry turbo) for a 6.0l, you will find a very helpful video. If you can't find the video, just mark the locations of the various parts and how they went together, take a few pictures, and tear into it. You'll see the movable vanes in the exhaust side that need to be cleaned.

I am sure that some body better qualified will chime in here shortly..
Good luck
Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
Sounds like one of two possible things. Or both of them together causing the problem. 1. sticky filthy EGR valve 2. stuck variable geometry turbo.

The water in the fuel light is probably just a coincidence, and your filter needs to be drained.

As for the actual problem, I would start by pulling the EGR valve and cleaning it, or replacing it. If you are resigned to replace it anyway, then get out the welder, and weld it shut. Put it back in, and see if your performance improves. It might throw a code or two if you do this.

Option 2 is a rusty crusty turbo charger. The remedy here is to remove the turbo and disassemble, clean, and reassemble the turbo. If you do a Google search about cleaning the VGT (variable geometry turbo) for a 6.0l, you will find a very helpful video. If you can't find the video, just mark the locations of the various parts and how they went together, take a few pictures, and tear into it. You'll see the movable vanes in the exhaust side that need to be cleaned.

I am sure that some body better qualified will chime in here shortly..
Good luck
Both very good ideas and one or both is probably in the OP's future. Only thing I'll add to it is to start simple. Rule of thumb. 6.0 powerstrokes are finicky sumbeeches when it comes to air, fuel, and oil quality. Stay up on your maintenance. OEM filters. Fuel filters every 15k or less. Oil changes at less than 5k. They love synthetic also. Factory Donaldson replacement air filters (the blue element kind). If you haven't changed your fuel filters in a while I'd start there. I'm guessing you haven't based on the water in fuel symptom. That alone will take care of the water in fuel light and help with your other problem.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks alot guys, im new, so ware exactly would the egr valve be? and idk if this makes a difference, but the truck seems to run fine if you are in park and are reving it, then you put it in drive, dont got much....so pull the egr valve out clean it up....or would unplugging it help??? idk what do you all think
Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by duernkyl View Post
thanks alot guys, im new, so ware exactly would the egr valve be? and idk if this makes a difference, but the truck seems to run fine if you are in park and are reving it, then you put it in drive, dont got much....so pull the egr valve out clean it up....or would unplugging it help??? idk what do you all think
If the EGR valve is already caked up and stuck open it won't do any good to unplug it. Take it out and clean it with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush, or replace it. It's located right next to the oil filter housing under the hood. It's the small circular thing with a plug in directly to the front and slightly to the passenger side of the oil filter housing.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i would put my money on the EGR valve my truck did the same thing so thats where i stand.... good luck though
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Dr. of Linemantology

egr help

if this helps, this is a before and after shot of the egr valve. the last shot is a pic of the hole where it goes and it's relation to the oil filter. an 8mm socket can unbolt the 2 screws that hold it down. try and use a magnetic adapter on your wrench or nut-driver cause those small bolts can easily fall below the cooler and manifold, making an easy job a nightmare trying to retreive them. if it has never come off before, it will seem very hard and almost impossible to get up out of its hole but i used a pair of large channel locks for pulling it up and wiggling back and forth with steady pressure got it out. for cleaning B-12 chemtool works good and a toothbrush, but be sure to remove the 2 rubber seals because it will eat them. i welded mine shut because without the weld and with it unplugged, exhaust pressure still opened it. it is closed and unplugged and it does not give a trouble light on the dash. hope this helps. sorry about being long winded and detailed. the small details are what i find most helpful and often left out. oh yeah, don't let the cleaner soak down into the body of the valve. if you clean it to re-use it and function properly, it can mess with the accuator (plunger) functionality.
Attached Thumbnails
no boost build up, and no power, whats wrong!!!!!-truck-egr-valve-007.jpg   no boost build up, and no power, whats wrong!!!!!-truck-egr-clean-036.jpg   no boost build up, and no power, whats wrong!!!!!-truck-egr-clean-034.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.