Need help with EGR delete. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with EGR delete.

Hello all,

My coolant level is very low and haven't taken it in to the dealership to diagnose the issue. As I understand it and from all of the reading I've done here and on other sources, the EGR cooler should be removed/deleted to ensure the HG's don't go and that the motor doesn't ingest coolant.

I've tried searching here regarding this modification and have found many conflictin answers. Some threads talk about how to do it yourself for cheap, others talk about blocking the intake side, others talk about complete removal, others use a new pipe, etc.

What's the best solution for me that is both affordable (I'm afraid of driving the truck) and somewhat of a long lasting solution. If you can provide sources for a good kit that's not like $600.00 I'd appreciate it.

Also, have a question about the oil cooler, is it required that I replace it? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

The egr removal is the best way to go IMO. Yes its not cheap, but you can get a little block off plate to stick in the exhaust port, but those aren't usually too effective. I think there might be another way to block it, but i can't remember. Someone who has done it will chime in here for ya. The low coolant could be a couple of things. Is it dripping anywhere or do you have any white smoke? Does it go down all the time or does it go down and then not drop anymore? I ask this cause there was an updated "MIN" sticker for the degas bottle. If you overfill the degas bottle it will just blow it back out.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
The egr removal is the best way to go IMO. Yes its not cheap, but you can get a little block off plate to stick in the exhaust port, but those aren't usually too effective. I think there might be another way to block it, but i can't remember. Someone who has done it will chime in here for ya. The low coolant could be a couple of things. Is it dripping anywhere or do you have any white smoke? Does it go down all the time or does it go down and then not drop anymore? I ask this cause there was an updated "MIN" sticker for the degas bottle. If you overfill the degas bottle it will just blow it back out.
Well I get no white smoke, only at startup and after about 1 min it goes away, whistles happily. I've checked that TSB and don't think it affects the build on my truck, but I will check again, I don't drive it for fear of killing the engine. I will check though, have to move it in front of the garage so I can tear into her.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would drive as little as possible if that coolant gets into that engine thats it your head gaskets will probably blow coolant cannot be compressed. there are some kits on ebay that are about 200 to 300 dollars for the egr delete. or if you just want to stop the flow of hot exhaust gas make sure you truck is turned off and just unplug the egr valve with the valve unplugged the valve will stay closed not allowing exhaust gas to enter back into the engine
Old 04-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Blackjudas,

If you can wrench and weld it is just your time and a few pieces of tubing and hose. A shop manual is not required, but it sure helps to see where the parts are and the order required to remove them.

Removal will take some time depending how far you want to go. If you go for the full monty all of the accessories on the top of the engine will come off, turbo, oil filter and fuel filter housing, wiring. At the rear of the engine there will be some bolts on the intake that will be difficult to get to as well as the turbo pipes from the manifolds to the turbo.

For full removal of the EGR Cooler you have to remove the intake manifold and weld the hole closed where the EGR cooler mated with the intake (tig weld aluminum). The EGR valve can be left in place since it does nothing after the bottom is sealed or you can remove it and weld the top closed as well. You could save the EGR cooler flange and just weld a steel plug into the end and rebolt it back in place. The next item is the cooling fluid routing. The steel plug with O-ring can be used if you weld a tube to it and then route a longer hose back to the oil cooler. you will need to weld this to the steel flange to hold it in place under pressure. However, the cleanest way to do it is to weld an aluminum tube to the coolant exit (1" tubing) then reduce it to 3/4" tubing running it back far enough to use a formed/molded 180 silicon hose to connect the tube to the oil cooler. The raduis is 1.25" so a molded tube is required. I went a different route and fabricated an aluminum elbow so I could reuse the original slip-on hose connection. I looks great having it all aluminum. The last step is to cut out the scoop in the RH turbo pipe and weld the turbo pipe closed (not really required). There has been a lot of talk about completely replacing the up-pipe, but the pipes are slip designed so I see no reason to replace it with a solid piece; although I still might support it at a later date.

If you reinsert the EGR cooler and only blocked it off, ensure you weld plugs in both ends to block exhaust air and protect the intake in case your air to liquid exchanger fails. That way you will not get anti-freeze in your intake. This is the easiest method since it only requires no fabrication, except for the welded frost plugs. Total cost is a couple of dollars. If you took it to a local welding shop I doubt the bill would be more than $40-80 (the minimum charge). Actual set up and welding for 2 plugs would be about 5 minutes.

There are a number of write ups on this topic. Performance is not the determining factor for doing this modification; it is primarily for puking problems and cooler failure. The cooler in the newer units is quite robust internally. I was surprised how well made it was when I cut it apart. Mine had no issues. I did the removal as a precautionary procedure since I had the motor out of the truck for other modifications.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 04-11-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.