White Smoke at Idle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke at Idle?

I just got my truck back from the dealer this morning, head studs, a welded off egr cooler, and uppipe with scoop removed. The truck has been smoking worse anbd worse as the day goes on. From what I can see is exclusively at idle, in gear holding brake, or pressed against a curb. The smoke is white with what I think is a tinge of blue, and I am almost positive it doesnt smell like burnt coolant.

I am just praying that its not the EGR cooler I welded for the dealer thats leaking. I connected a pressure gauge to coolant bottle and its not rising in pressure, so I hope thats a good sign. that hopefully its not the egr cooler or headgaskets.

Possible Oring in Turbo or Injector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

did your egr blow is that why you welded it shut cause if it was mine did the same thing for about a day and now it cleared up
Old 04-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Diesel Freak had the same problem I think and I think it had something to do with his turbo. Like a seal went out.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
Diesel Freak had the same problem I think and I think it had something to do with his turbo. Like a seal went out.
I emailed DieselFreak. the EGR cooler is welded, and pressure tested, but not hot and pressure tested. Its going back to dealer in am to find out what is going on.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Rice Hunter

YUP,,,, I went thru the same situation but mine seemed to smoke bad after the first 2-5 miles and cleared up again. Finally swapped out turbo and all is still clear
Old 04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

Does it have a misfire? If the white smoke isnt coolant its unburnt fuel probly from an injector... And we all know what causes blue smoke.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Truck runs good with no codes, actually runs AMAZING with the Tune I just got today, CANNOT keep the tires planted!!! I have a coolant gauge that has a pump, so I can pressurize the coolant system, to cap pressure, and it doesnt seem to change the amount of smoke that is produced.

It barely smokes at idle when in park, but when I put the tires up to a curb, it billows pretty good.

DieselFreak, I would say its the same symptoms, that is doesnt do it when the engine is cold, even if I pressurize the bottle, but starts after a few miles once it heats up. It doesnt seem to go away like you said yours did though, after a while?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You have an injector(or several) that is over fueling. Get this fixxed now!!! The fuel can and will melt the piston. If you keep driving it you will need a new engine. I have replaced several engines now that the piston got welded to the cylinder wall. On some of the luckyer ones I just had to replace the injector. I have had a few that the extra fuel clogged up the cat and if you had just had an egr cooler fail the coolant in the exhauts would only make this more likly to happen. Sorry for the long post but I hate seeing driver neglect kill an engine. Seen it to many times in my short time as a tech.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

i would think more along the lines of a turbo myself , only smoking at idle , any other throtle there is enough heat to burn it off
Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Got the truck back to the dealer this AM and waiting for a call to see what they found.

The truck besides the smoke at idle runs awesome, cranks great, starts and idles smooth, and even with stock tune runs really good. Great throttle response I think because of the upipe scoop removed, and EGR welded closed.
With the Tune I got from the performance shop in SA, runs the PIZZ out of my other tunes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.