warranty issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
warranty issues

I have a 2004 F250 that was stock at 8000 miles and needed head gaskets I only noticed a sputter and took to dealer they fixed it under warrenty. Now I installed a edge juice with attitude and it worked fine for 2 weeks and now seems to blow bluish smoke when cold then subsides it will blow a bit after that. I took the module off and it still blows smoke. I then took all sensors off EGT thermo coupler and wanted to take it to the dealer do you think they would trip if I did have the thermo coupler on or should I plug the exaust with a threaded plug I would hate for them to see either but didnt want to look like I was hiding somthing. Do you know if the warranty says anything about installing gauges?? Also can they see that there was a edge module..I did not abuse the extra HP Im sure the turbo did not spin to fast, Whats your take also does anyone have an ideal whats the problem with the bluish smoke

Last edited by Burtonch; 02-02-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
No matter what you do to your rig as long as it doesn't cause the failure it doesn't effect your warranty. If your gauges caught fire and burned up the rig you'd be sol but if you blow a head gasket just because you've made an aftermarket install such as gauges they can't do anything. The have to prove that the part directly caused the failure. Your EGT gauge won't be a problem. Now the edge on the other hand you might want to be careful with when it comes to warranty.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dropped off to see if I get stroked

Well I dropped it off at the dealer. Does anyone know the prosses that they go through to determan if the work that they will need to performed falls under being waranteed do they scan the pcm to look for falt codes and if so would they see an edge module or do they run a probe in the exaust to find if there is in fact water/coolant in the exaust. I am on pins and needles waiting for that phone call. I am trying to prepare myself if I will need to take it to a mechanic to fix the head gaskets does anyone know ballpark the cost
Old 02-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to purduefarmboy460
If its any help, and it may not be, I always get a little blue smoke outta mine when it starts up, but it is a 7.3L. One of my buddies with a 6.0 get's the same thing, especially with a straight pipe... I think most folks will tell you its normal when they are warming up....
Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned

i would almost bet your head gaskets are fine....rough running and blueish smoke on a sick-0 are almost always an injector that doesnt fire properly after a cold start up...i bet it clears up after it warms up......the chip wold not cause this, but next time take the chip out and disconnect he battery cables for about a half hour or so....probably is more than is needed but better safe than sorry.....leave the guages hooked up....missing componants are more a trigger for question than the actual componants if there is reason to believe they should have been there in the first place........Marc
Old 02-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I brought my SD in for possible head gaskets for the 2nd time. The first time they lifted the cab off and did the head job this time I spoke to the same mechanic I asked him if he was planning on doing the same he stated that lately with the 6.0 if there are occuring issues with the motor they (Hot line) is telling them to replace the entire motor he said if they are to replace the motor they will not take off the cab and just pull the motor, I hope this will happen with mine if they do in fact warranty the problem. As I mentioned in a earlier post I did have a edge module in it I took it all out before bringing it in. When I was there today I was talking to the mechanic and asked him if this will be covered under the warranty and he said yes. He also mentioned that he will take pictures of the motor and or Heads and send the,m to Hotline. I wonder if they make the final desision on weather a head job or motor or do they get involved on how and what caused the problem any insight on this would be greatly appriciated, P.S There was a another SD he was installing a motor in I asked him if it was under warranty he said no because the guy had a K&N air filter on, Can yoy beleive this crap he said the job was going to cost 11K. What a joke. Please take note if you are having any work performed by ford put it back to stock if you want it waranteed
Old 02-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonch
I brought my SD in for possible head gaskets for the 2nd time. The first time they lifted the cab off and did the head job this time I spoke to the same mechanic I asked him if he was planning on doing the same he stated that lately with the 6.0 if there are occuring issues with the motor they (Hot line) is telling them to replace the entire motor he said if they are to replace the motor they will not take off the cab and just pull the motor, I hope this will happen with mine if they do in fact warranty the problem. As I mentioned in a earlier post I did have a edge module in it I took it all out before bringing it in. When I was there today I was talking to the mechanic and asked him if this will be covered under the warranty and he said yes. He also mentioned that he will take pictures of the motor and or Heads and send the,m to Hotline. I wonder if they make the final desision on weather a head job or motor or do they get involved on how and what caused the problem any insight on this would be greatly appriciated, P.S There was a another SD he was installing a motor in I asked him if it was under warranty he said no because the guy had a K&N air filter on, Can yoy beleive this crap he said the job was going to cost 11K. What a joke. Please take note if you are having any work performed by ford put it back to stock if you want it waranteed
first off, if they had the evidence to void the warranty based on the air filter, the customer deserves to pay. if the filter was allowing dirt through, causing dusting in the motor, then it is the customers responcibility to pay the bill. his modification caused the failure. even i, who covers for a lot of chips on things that are probably related, would point out dusting due to an unmaintained or not properly installed air filter, factory or not....there is probably more to the story than you know...they cant just void the repair based on the filter unless there is major evidence of dirt in the motor..as far as yours, i contacted hotline today to get approval for replacement of both heads on a sick-0 due to warpage, and they said nothing to me about a motor replacement, and this truck has blown head gaskets once before that were replaced at another dealer (i know its chipped....but the owner knows what hes doing.....guys dont install gauges, shift kits, and 4 inch exhausts without a chip too)......but its not worth the effort to fight.....and its not his fault ford cant get international to build a motor to replace the 7.3 as far as durability. im curious now on that point though...i would just assume put a motor in the one ive got and be done with it........keep me informed, please, im curious about the findings..........Marc
Old 02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well some good news but I dont want to count my chickens until I get my truck in my hands. The dealer called me and said they have the heads off and sent them to some shop to have them checked. I asked them if everything was in order and covered under the warranty the service writer and mechanic said yes.Does anyone know if they can back out of fixing it once they had taken it apart??? I did not authorize any work to be performed just to see what was wrong with it.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonch
Well some good news but I dont want to count my chickens until I get my truck in my hands. The dealer called me and said they have the heads off and sent them to some shop to have them checked. I asked them if everything was in order and covered under the warranty the service writer and mechanic said yes.Does anyone know if they can back out of fixing it once they had taken it apart??? I did not authorize any work to be performed just to see what was wrong with it.
your in good shape.....you can quit worrying.......they cant come back on you if you were not given an estimate first.....and they dont seem to suspect anything so i would quit asking them questions so you dont make it seem more suspicious........Marc
Old 02-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
your in good shape.....you can quit worrying.......they cant come back on you if you were not given an estimate first.....and they dont seem to suspect anything so i would quit asking them questions so you dont make it seem more suspicious........Marc

Well I got my truck back without paying a cent. Here is what they found and I will quote the PO. System pressure test and compression test found failed egr cooler causing oill cooler and head gasket failure replaced oil cooler and headgaskets reground leaking exaust valve on #8 cleared code and test drove. It also says repair eligble foe SPW see previos RO. I beleive but not sure the previos RO is refuring to head gaskets that blew several months ago. could anyone explain (eligable for SPW) Also thanks for all support with this issue. Its good to have my truck back and its also good Its still under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.