another 6 liter code p2285 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
another 6 liter code p2285

i know it probably been asked many times,but code 2285,2286.
i have changed the icp ,regulator,icp sensor.the connector has already been changed.
using all data,going by the steps , i have checked for short ,open and ground in the harness ,told me to change the sensor,regulator,and the last step was to replace the pcm.nothing changed ,the 2285 code keeps coming up. where do i manually check the high pressure oil?under the oil filter? the scanner shows around 1100 psi at idle,and it should be 500 ish.
so far,and many hours,still where i began.the truck is a 03 f250,and of course ,a 6 liter
the truck idles,but will not rev at wot,it stays at idle.the code is 2285,and says nothing about the accelerator.
please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i still haven't figured it out.A friend checked it out,called the diesel shop foreman at ford.found out there is a plug at the BACK of the high pressure oil pump,how to get to the plug on a f250 i don't know.
also to test the high pressure pump, the foreman said to ramp up the high pressure pump pressure on the scanner.The scanner iam using (genisis), i couldn't find that option.may be a dealer scanner thing.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

What is your ICP volts reading at key-on/engine-off? Is it between 0.18 to 0.25 volts? Can you access IPR duty cycle on your scanner? It should be expressed as %. If so, you should be able to command a higher duty %, to see how the engine behaves.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the last time i checked ,the icp volts were at zero,i can see the ipr duty cycle on the scanner.this is the first 6 liter i worked on,i have lots of experience on 7.3 and international 444
Old 04-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If ICP volts are at 0, you have an open circuit. Typically with 2003 model years, an ICP sensor (Ford part number 3C3Z-9F838-EA) and pigtail connector (Ford part number 5C3Z-12224-A) fixes the issue. Oil usually leaks through the sensor itself and damages the connector. An oil leak would also appear at the bottom between the engine and transmission bellhousing.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the ipr get the signal from the pcm,?right?i have checked the harness.we got a USED pcm,and it came with throttle position sensor codes in it.we could have gotten a bad pcm?
i changed the sensor and regulator weren't leaking,the all data trouble shooting led to it.the pigtail had been changed,but not by me,probably the recall

Last edited by aaron47; 04-04-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You would be wasting your time and money by "trying" a PCM. Based on my experience with 6.0L engines so far, I have replaced NO PCMs out of the hundreds I've wrenched on so far. There are three wires to your ICP sensor. They are coloured brown with a white stripe, dark blue with a light green stripe, and grey with a red stripe. Check for continiuity between those three wires on the sensor and pin number 25 of the PCM connector for the grey with red striped wire, pin number 29 of the PCM connector for the dark blue with light green striped wire, and pin number 'D' of the EGR valve five wire connector for the brown with white striped wire. To access the ICP sensor requires removal of the heat shield at the back of the engine, under the turbo secured by two 10mm bolts and one 13mm bolt behind the driver side exhaust up-pipe. Once removed, you will see a heat shield around the sensor at the top of the high pressure oil pump cover.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Okay, after rereading your first post, I should think that you should double check your wiring connections, since you mention you replaced the connector as well. Based on the information you have given that you are getting ICP volts reading of 0 at key-on/engine-off when you SHOULD be getting between 0.18 to 0.25 volts, I suspect you have an open circuit in one of the three that I've listed above for you to check.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

all data led to changing the pcm.ok THANKS for the information,i'll try that monday when i go back to work.and i have changed the sensor and regulator,and what a great place for them to be!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron47 View Post
the ipr get the signal from the pcm,?right?i have checked the harness.we got a USED pcm,and it came with throttle position sensor codes in it.we could have gotten a bad pcm?
i changed the sensor and regulator weren't leaking,the all data trouble shooting led to it.the pigtail had been changed,but not by me,probably the recall
Some really early 2003 models were equipped with an EGR throttle plate, while most 2003 models were not. The donor PCM you have is likely from a vehicle that was equipped with the EGR throttle plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.