Whistling noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whistling noise

My 6.0 PDS recently developed a strange whistle noise mostly on decell or just maintaining speed. IT'S NOT THE NORMAL TURBO NOISE. It sounds like a brake squeak on a domestic car,or a wind leak from a door seal. This is easily duplicated when cruising 30-50 mph and letting off the gas. Most of the time it's apparent. Possible a vacuum leak in the engine compartment??? Is there any typical problems thet may be characteristic to the 6.0 with 25,000 miles???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Whistling noise

Take it to the dealership. If it only has 25,000 miles on it, it should still be under warranty, let the dealership handle the problem. but it may be the breaks or the door seal, could be tires, could be a vaccuum leak, could be this could be that. You could take months to find it. The dealer may take a day to find it. Won't cost you anything your paying for it already might as well let them fix it. That is if it is still under warranty.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

AH The lovely factory warranty!!! We'll do.. Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same exact problem. 9 Days in the stealership, and it's no better, I do not have a warranty, can anyone help me out with suggestions?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

whistle noise

I haven't taken mine in yet, but I think my whistle noise is related to my head gasket leak. Currently my head gaskets are blown due to "the edge" streeching the headbolts. This in turn overpressureizes the cooling system and pressure/coolant are expelled through the coolant cap/degass bottle ceusing a "tea kettle" whistle sound. I've turned down the programer to stock and the noise is only apparent when temps are hotter and load is higher, ie.. heavy right foot. We'll see what happens after the Hypermax headgaskets are installed next week.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

if your truck is venting coolant...the squeek is the cap releaving pressure.....after the vent for a while the caps get weak and vent more....and with the water and rubber sealing against the plastic...the caps make a wierd squeek....
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wink

I found a similiar sound on my 03 6.0. It turned out to be the left mirror extention. The air was getting into the slide assembly. A little electrical tape, problem solved.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

does it sound like the turbo surgeing a little not a lot but were it goes in and out also look at the boost gauge for any fluctuation usually only a couple of pounds. had one that did this and had to have a new turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.