HeadGaskets!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry HeadGaskets!!!!!

Took truck in yesterday to Ford for what i thought to be headgaskets blown. As it turns out i was right. I have the full banks kit in my early 04 sick O. i took the six gun out before taking it in and they could not tell it was in there yet. They are pulling the motor today hopefully they will not be able to tell anything by the look of the heads. JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW, I DO NOT CARE HOW EASY YOU ARE WITH A TUNER THEY STILL BLOW!! i do not hot rod my truck at all but it still happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 01:19 PM

I wonder what max boost that system allows? Believe w/ the PDA thing you can adjust the max boost. Maybe that can help??
Just adding extra fuel with the stock boost ultimatly does raise the cylinder pressures which could still "extend" the heads bolts.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCS250
I wonder what max boost that system allows? Believe w/ the PDA thing you can adjust the max boost. Maybe that can help??
Just adding extra fuel with the stock boost ultimatly does raise the cylinder pressures which could still "extend" the heads bolts.
its actually not the combustion that is causing the problems with the 6.0 though, it is the boost. the turbo is capable of delivering such a high charge of air that on the compression stroke the air actually pushes back against the head harder than the stretch yield of the bolt, essentially the bolt for an instant is actually weaker than that amount of air in that particular space. the max boost on the system depends on if its an early build or late build motor, and i could be a few psi off here, but off the top of my head, early build are max 27psi with normal operating max at like 24, and the late build motor has max 30 with normal operating like 28.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redseal199
Took truck in yesterday to Ford for what i thought to be headgaskets blown. As it turns out i was right. I have the full banks kit in my early 04 sick O. i took the six gun out before taking it in and they could not tell it was in there yet. They are pulling the motor today hopefully they will not be able to tell anything by the look of the heads. JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW, I DO NOT CARE HOW EASY YOU ARE WITH A TUNER THEY STILL BLOW!! i do not hot rod my truck at all but it still happens.
unless they have a tech there that knows what they are doing you are probably safe......if they try to make it customer pay, i would reccomend putting studs in place of the head bolts though.....
Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I guess I'm a little bent around the axle on this. If this thing is such a horrible design and piece of crap, that I can't run a simple economy tune, yet the 7.3's are rock solid with no head gasket issues, the way I figure I might as well have it blow before I hit 100K so they can fix it with - well heck any other parts than they're currently using. Or at least it'll be replaced and re-torqued.
As far as boost goes my IISPRO gauge only goes to 30 I think and I don't recall ever being anywhere near that......course I was hanging on for dear life with my eyes glued to the road and EGT gauge the few time's I REALLY got on her.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Hey Alan do a test on a really cold night (not that you have many of them in tx!) and do a nice solid balls to the wall acceleration one time to 50 or 60 and see how close you get to 30....your predator might be pretty conservative boostwise...see what you get
Old 02-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I'll have to check it out Smoke.....course you're right about the lack of cold days, I can't believe how warm it is down here.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info,
not to argue, (especially w/ the guru),
Does the combustion add heat and therefore pressure to the mechanical pressure? More fuel more heat and expansion.
Is this all after TDC?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodslinger
I guess I'm a little bent around the axle on this. If this thing is such a horrible design and piece of crap, that I can't run a simple economy tune, yet the 7.3's are rock solid with no head gasket issues, the way I figure I might as well have it blow before I hit 100K so they can fix it with - well heck any other parts than they're currently using. Or at least it'll be replaced and re-torqued.
As far as boost goes my IISPRO gauge only goes to 30 I think and I don't recall ever being anywhere near that......course I was hanging on for dear life with my eyes glued to the road and EGT gauge the few time's I REALLY got on her.
Sounds like you might be holding stock boost levels though, reading above that would be OK.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

hey rod, would you believe that the guy who told me about the head studs (he has an 04, late build) is pushing 50psi with his truck???? i did not beleave his gauge and monitered it with my ford scan tool......he was right.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.