6.0 Head Resurfacing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Head Resurfacing?

Getting all my facts straight before I go into dealer to get head gaskets, studs, and welded EGR/upipe installed.

I have seen a few cases on here where people have gone to dealer for head studs and still are having issues, Degas bottle Puking, and some extreme cases of washing the cylinder walls from coolant and needing a new motor. What issues have people had so I know that I am going to the dealer once and only once.

What are the Head spec tolerance that I need to hear from the tech to know that they heads are as flat as they need to be so they gaskets will seal correctly with the ARP studs?

What is the technical stance on surfacing the heads to make them flat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

WE talked about this already but I wanted to just say it's a must to get them machined !! Just cause they slap a new set on does not mean they are even or true .This is what i was told by good friends and the service tech that just did my heads with A1's :} also My daughters Boyfriend got his back to day getting A1's installed ..
Hope some one else can chime in with better info !!
Give TSD a ring they will give you all the info you need as to why ...
Oh, your friend has all the info he asked for !!

Last edited by Mike Hickman; 03-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM

I'm one of those that had puking with studs. When you get the studs demand new heads, oil cooler, and EGR cooler. If they don't give you new heads then get them magnaflux to check for warpage and cracks. I wouldn't bother with resurfacing the heads just try to get new ones.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hickman View Post
WE talked about this already but I wanted to just say it's a must to get them machined !! Just cause they slap a new set on does not mean they are even or true .This is what i was told by good friends and the service tech that just did my heads with A1's :} also My daughters Boyfriend got his back to day getting A1's installed ..
Hope some one else can chime in with better info !!
Oh, your friend has all the info he asked for !!
Yeah I know you are the one that brought it up and it has me a bit of concern now. If they are not willing to let me have the heads checked by a machine shop I am going to politely ask if I can go to your guy. What are A1s? are they bolts or Studs like ARP?

Edit: I just looked them up they are H-11 tool steel, very strong, but I have read they have no give so they may eventually fail being brittle.

Last edited by AFBLUE; 03-16-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
I'm one of those that had puking with studs. When you get the studs demand new heads, oil cooler, and EGR cooler. If they don't give you new heads then get them magnaflux to check for warpage and cracks. I wouldn't bother with resurfacing the heads just try to get new ones.
Yeah I have been reading some of your threads, and your outcome has me downright freaked out.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
Yeah I know you are the one that brought it up and it has me a bit of concern now. If they are not willing to let me have the heads checked by a machine shop I am going to politely ask if I can go to your guy. What are A1s? are they bolts or Studs like ARP?
A1's are rated at 2200 and arp is rated at 1800 strength they will cost more to. From what I was told they are reusable if needed and are stonger ..
Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hickman View Post
A1's are rated at 2200 and arp is rated at 1800 strength they will cost more to. From what I was told they are reusable if needed and are stonger ..
I think ARP are reusable too, they have a 180,000 yield which is 75% of tensile strength so they are rated at 220,000. Surely not quite as strong as H-11/A1 but also more forgiving...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

As per Ford TSB article 06-21-10, cylinder head flatness is to be checked at all 13 spots in the illustration below. Per the TSB, flatness is to be no greater than 0.002" out-of-flat. Ford does NOT endorse resurfacing the head.

Last edited by m-chan68; 05-01-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM

If anything comes up let me know or you can get the info for the guy I used from your friend that I sent the PM to.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
As per Ford TSB article 06-21-10, cylinder head flatness is to be checked at all 13 spots in the illustration below. Per the TSB, flatness is to be no greater than 0.002" out-of-flat. Ford does NOT endorse resurfacing the head.
Ford does not endorse, but what is the honest Tech background for head resurfacing? and how flat the heads need to be. Are people having issues because the heads have not been measured correctly?

ARP studs are torqued to 245 ft lbs, what are the stock head bolts torqued to? and can the gaskets handle the extra torque following that spec of .002"?

How severe do cases get of head gasket failure when the cylinders get washed from coolant getting into combustion chamber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.