'04 with no oil pressure at idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 with no oil pressure at idle

I walked out yesterday morning to start the excursion and it was very hard to start. (lots of cranking) After giving it a little gas it started and seemed fine. I drove it down the street and then noticed the oil pressure gauge was not registering. If I bring the RPMs up to about 900, it pops up to normal. Take my foot off the gas and the gauge drops to nothing. This morning again hard to start but I had normal pressure until the engine warmed up and the oil thined. Than down to nothing at idle. Normal above 900 RPM. Any suggestions? Being that I know nothing about diesels, do you know of a good diesel mechanic in the Pasadena, CA area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oil Pump or the oil pressure Sensor. Not sure witch pump it could be there is two. A low pressure and a High. From what you explained it sounds like the high pressure pump.
The computer has to see 500 PSI from the pump before they crank from what I understand. The HP Pump is on the top of the motor from what I understand.
Hope that helps.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Stupid question. Are you using an aftermarket oil filter or the OEM Ford/Motorcraft FL-2016? If you are using an aftermarket oil filter, discard it and start using the OEM filters from now on.

I have had MANY trucks that have passed through my hands with the exact issue you describe being caused by the use of an aftermarket oil filter (particularly the junk ones that use the one-piece cap, necessitating you to discard the OEM cap that will have to be repurchased when you switch back to a Ford filter on your next oil change).

The last three trucks that have passed through my hands with that symptom was fixed by the replacement of the oil pressure SWITCH, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE ICP SENSOR. This would be the switch located on top of the oil cooler, next to the oil filter housing and EOT (Engine Oil Temperature) sensor. For what it's worth, the oil pressure gauge on your instrument cluster is only as good as an "idiot light". This means it reads pressure. It doesn't indicate low pressure or high pressure. If it makes you feel any better, your engine would stop running if the lube system oil pressure were starved, because it would starve the HIGH pressure oil system that controls fuel delivery at the injectors. In lamens terms, this means the engine would stop running long before engine damage could commence.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It could be that. I know someone who had a 05 with the same problem from what it sounds. It would turn over like crazy then sometimes it would crank sometimes not. Took it to the dealer and it was the High pressure pump. 6.0 for you who knows till you really start to dig.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Stupid question. Are you using an aftermarket oil filter or the OEM Ford/Motorcraft FL-2016? If you are using an aftermarket oil filter, discard it and start using the OEM filters from now on.

I have had MANY trucks that have passed through my hands with the exact issue you describe being caused by the use of an aftermarket oil filter (particularly the junk ones that use the one-piece cap, necessitating you to discard the OEM cap that will have to be repurchased when you switch back to a Ford filter on your next oil change).

The last three trucks that have passed through my hands with that symptom was fixed by the replacement of the oil pressure SWITCH, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE ICP SENSOR. This would be the switch located on top of the oil cooler, next to the oil filter housing and EOT (Engine Oil Temperature) sensor. For what it's worth, the oil pressure gauge on your instrument cluster is only as good as an "idiot light". This means it reads pressure. It doesn't indicate low pressure or high pressure. If it makes you feel any better, your engine would stop running if the lube system oil pressure were starved, because it would starve the HIGH pressure oil system that controls fuel delivery at the injectors. In lamens terms, this means the engine would stop running long before engine damage could commence.
Thanks for the info. I do fell better to know that it's not ruining the engine. I have it at All Time Diesel in Glendora, CA. I'll let you know what I the end result is. I just bought the thing and 3 days later this happens. Glad I bought an extended warrantee!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm979 View Post
It could be that. I know someone who had a 05 with the same problem from what it sounds. It would turn over like crazy then sometimes it would crank sometimes not. Took it to the dealer and it was the High pressure pump. 6.0 for you who knows till you really start to dig.
Thanks for the reply. It always cranks and it always starts. it just takes alot of cranking until it finally starts. Once it starts it runs great except for the oil pressure gauge. I'll post a reply once I get info from the shop.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hows the oil level?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
Hows the oil level?
Oil is full. Talked to the shop today. They've done some test and have determined that it is in the low pressure oil pump. He said that he suspects the housing has gone bad as opposed to the hardened gears but he'll find out tomorrow. I guess the housing is made of aluminium and more prone to failure. Thanks to all for you're imput. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So what’s the verdict?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 PM

what was the end result? my 05 f350 is doing the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.