Injectors going? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injectors going?

Alright guys I need some info here on my truck! We ran up to the Henry Ford museum in Michigan between Christmas and New Years and ran the big truck. It ran great and I was averaging 16.5 by the lie o meter and when I got home I checked it by hand and I got around 15.9. Still not to shabby considering we were running about 72 mph in Ohio and 82 mph in Michigan. When we left I added an additive called Diesel Kleen which Tractor supply carries and the truck seemed to run smoother and have a little more power. The bottle is a grey color and it will add 6 cetane numbers to your fuel. I went a little on the lower side of the dosage and made sure it had no alhchol in it.

When we got back I went to the same fuel station (Marathon) and got my fuel outta the same pump and added the same amount of additive. But now my fuel mileage has went into the chitter! Almost filling it where the needle was on F but not topped off I have gotten a eye popping 140 miles on a half of a tank! I could usually get 440's on a full tank before! I've only been doing 70 at the most with some 45 mph the last two days coming and going to work which is a 29 mile trip one way. I let the truck warm up maybe 10 minutes before I leave cuz it has gotten into the low 30's and the truck has been plugged in and I have not used the high idle because I am trying to figure out wtf is going on!

Right before we left I changed the oil and it was black in color but only had 5000 miles on it. I didn't check the dip stick before I drained it cuz the truck don't leak so I knew it was full. May have been a slight smell of diesel in it but nothing that really caught me off gaurd.

I'm thinkin I have an injector or two going bad or maybe more? Is there any sure fire way of checking or is it a dealer thing that they can check? Also if I give ya my vin can you tell me the build date cuz I think I remember seeing something about the early '04's having bad injectors?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
PM your vin to marc... or put it in the oasis forum. Hope someone can help, the 6.0's are complicated!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:07 PM
im fat and ugly

man i hope its just a false alarm
Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned

how many miles you put on it since?? if its getting that bad of economy...you should be able to pick up the diesel in the fuel pretty quickly...watch your oil level very closely for the next few days...check it often. PM me your vin and ill check the build date as well.....and ill see if the injector TSB is applicable.....
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
The Fat Mod

Good luck Mikey, I have already told ya what I know about it, so I will not repeat myself. But hope you get it figured out.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

lright the build date was 4/4/04 so can anyone help me out as far as when they had the problems with the injectors? 204 miles and below a half tank and I had just filled the thing!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't know nuttin....

204 on half a tank means you should may have over a gallon of diesel in the sump if the injectors are leaking down. Check your oil level and if its fuller than when you changed it, don't drive it anymore. Tow it to the dealer.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

your truck does have the TSB for the injector failures open.... TSB 04-9-3...... Do as clay said...check your oil level...and smell it. If it is an injector bleeding down it will be obvious by now. Either way get it to the dealer in stock form...it will be covered under the 5/100 warranty buddy!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I have noticed my milage drop from 15 to 13 when running Diesel Kleen. I only run it once a year to clean the injectors. I hope you don't have an injector problem.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I don't know nuttin....

I was seeing about 11-12 mpg (down from 19-20) when i had leaking injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.