6.0 With sticking Turbo?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 With sticking Turbo??

I just bought a 2003 6.0 and it has run pretty good but lately i was driving it and i lost power for a short time, i noticed that it blew a little black smoke, but soon after i regained most of the power. It has happened twice in about 3 weeks. So i took it into dealership and they plugged it into the computer and no codes, so they took it out and drove it said that my turbo got stuck open at 30 psi. They are saying i really need to get new turbo or else it could blow my cooling system?? Any suggestions. Could it be my EGR Valve??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How many miles are on the truck? I doubt its the egr valve you can plug the system off and the truck would still run just fine. The turbo would be my guess. And it very well could ruin the cooling system because the boost increases compression which increases exhaust pressure which runs through your EGR cooler. the turbo is very easy to install.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has 77,000. So i don't know. The turbo is pretty easy to install then?? Is there a place that can show you how to do it?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do you ever run the truck hard? I think you might have a combination of both going on. If the EGR is "coked" up, that can cause power loss and black smoke. I wouldn't replace the turbo. I would remove and clean the EGR valve and see what happens. If it still does it, remove the turbo and clean the vanes. The turbo can be removed in about 1-1.5 hours with normal hand tools. If you have any questions on how to remove it, just PM me.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok i will try that thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run the truck pretty hard i guess. I use the turbo a fair amount because i have heard that helps to keep things working properly and i do pull pretty good loads with it, so it does get worked pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.